Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificPhilippines · 2 months ago

Is Duterte going to turn the Philippines into a vassal state of China?

• David

Good question. I remember a long time ago (by memory, shortly after he was elected) he was making all kinds of strong statements like "F*** the United States, we don't need them" and making personal trips to China where he was getting all buddy-buddy with all the top leaders there.

I commented to my filipina girlfriend that Duterte getting all buddy-buddy with China is like the hens getting all buddy-buddy with the fox...

China desperately wants to annex the Philippines...ALL of it, not just a few nearby tiny islands. The United States would like to help prevent that. But so far, it seems Duterte is HOSTILE to the U.S. and friendly toward China. I don't get that...

Now I think Duterte is a great president, personally. But his foreign policy regarding China leaves me....confused.

I imagine he is under a great deal of pressure from the Chinese. The Philippines is a top tourist destination for Chinese people, particularly the red light districts. By comparison, few Americans travel there, so the Chinese have more influence. The older Filipinos who remember the last world war are nearly gone now, as is the influence of the United States that resulted from it.

• Brian

And he'll think he's in charge of it all, too.