Not sure how to ask a question at home depot since my English is limited . Could you please help me ?

Hi . I was wondering if any of you could help me ..

I need to get a threaded rod and a screw at home depot and obviously they need to be a specific size . So I’m planing on taking those items to homedepot to let them see the size .. but how can I ask them what I need ? I need easy words to pronounce .. I’m unable to pronounce “ threaded rod” and “ screw ”. Can I say “ rod” and “ nut” instead ? Would that work ? Or what would you suggest ?

I was planning on saying something like “ do you have rods of this size ?” And “ do you have nuts of this size ?”

These are the things I need to get at homedepot:

Thank you for your help .

• elhigh
    1 week ago

You can just write it down.  That's an option.  Even if your native tongue has trained you to have an accent that pronounces certain English words poorly, your writing is very clear.

In my experience, Lowe's is a better choice for specalized hardware, though Home Depot does carry many sizes of threaded rod.

If you need a less common size than what Home Depot carries, try Ace Hardware - in my experience, far more comprehensive in hardware than Home Depot - or better yet, Fastenal.  If you have no idea what size you have, people at Fastenal will be able to figure it out. And if Fastenal doesn't have what you need, they can order it.

• 1 week ago

Print it out on a piece of paper, just as you did here. ROD and NUT could also work considering you will have some examples with you.

• 1 week ago

"Like this" will work if you have a sample.

• John
    1 week ago

Except you aren't going to find that part at Home Depot. It looks like the thread for the cross feed carriage of a lathe.  Whether that's true or not it's not your basic threaded rod, it's a part. Probably Acme thread which Home Depot will never have heard of.

• 1 week ago

you'll do fine. Their salespeople are used to customers with limited english

1 week ago

The threaded rod is called a "stud". 

• Edwena
    1 week ago

The words you are using are perfectly good as-is, but lack the precise clarity required for Home Depot. Take the pieces with you or a photo, and say, "Do you have something like this what-ever-it-is?" They will take you to the right what-ever spot and help you. Now, if there are 2 parts to it, you can call anything a "device" and get away with it.