Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 week ago

I am trying to clear my pictures in my folder on the computer files and I can't but I keep getting this message below, what do I do?

It keeps saying for one folder "this folder or file is open in another program" but it is not. How do I find out how it is open somewhere? I have thousands of photos and so I am trying to clear a lot of them.

• 1 week ago
    Favorite Answer

Your computer thinks that the file(s) are open in something else. I have no way of guessing what that would be.

The simplest trick is to restart the computer. that closes all the programs and will guarantee that nothing has those files open. then make the first thing you do be the moving of the files.

If it still will not let you move them, try moving them in smaller groups. that may help you to isolate which file/folder is in use. It is possible that you linked one of them to something like a slide show program that has them "in use". If you can isolate the folder/files causing the issue then you should be able to figure out what is using them.

• 7 days ago

In Windows use Task Manager and close all open applications.... 

• P
    1 week ago

Reboot the computer and try again. If you have already done that then press "F8" repeatedly when the computer is first booting up and start it in safe mode once the menu comes up.  Then login and delete the files.  

• Sandy
    1 week ago

let's see. the program you use to save your pics is the problem, not the pics. you only may have one or two pic programs. so go through all the programs on your computer and close, then open THEM. 

1 week ago

That's what happens when Microsoft Windows gets tied in knots. It is not necessarily actually open anywhere, but is flagged as being open ... maybe the program crashed, or shutdown, but for some reason the flag has not been cleared when finished with. 

So you close all your programs. You may also have to look at Task Manager to see if there are programs running without a window visible. Sometimes rebooting the computer from scratch, not sleep, clears the error.

Otherwise all you can do is try and delete a smaller set of images at a go, do half at a time.