promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 2 months ago

What size tank is required to house a baby box turtle?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Darby
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The habitat should be large enough to allow for both a warm end and a cooler end so your turtle can move around within it to regulate its body temperature. Lights should be mounted over one end of the enclosure to create a warm basking area. 

I agree with oikoo that glass tanks aren't the best choice for box turtles. They overheat very quickly, have poor air circulation, and are stressful to turtles who may constantly try to get through the glass. Better housing options are a large Rubbermaid storage container or a "tortoise table," which is just a topless wooden "box" with lots of floor space. You can build one out of an old bookcase laid on its back with the shelves removed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • oikoσ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don't want a tank. Build or buy a "tortoise table". It should be at least large enough to hold a small paint-roller tray of water, sunken flush with the substrate. You will eventually need a larger table.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Ten gallows would be fine. Even 5 gallons is okay.

• 2 months ago

I believe 1 gallon per inch of shell for all turtles, but maybe you should look at something that isn’t clear because it can stress box turtles out. I mean always trying to get out and super anxious. I kept mine in a shallow plastic storage container and covered the sides with construction paper. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

A Leopard 2A7 would do nicely 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.