Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 2 months ago

Will my in-line microphone work in a normal PC audio jack?

I'm aware that question probably sounds unbelievably stupid, but bear with me, I don't know what they're actually called.

I currently have headphones with an inline mic that I love but because they're plugged into my laptop, they have to only have one audio jack for both the headphones and microphone. I'm getting a gaming PC pretty soon and know that they tend to have separate plugins for both the headphones and a microphone. If it comes with a normal audio jack, will my microphone still work? And if not, is there a specific adapter for this kind of thing?

My stupid reasoning behind this is that my laptop (and phone I suppose) both only have the one audio jack so with the in line mic, they'd practically need to be able to support it since my laptop at least doesn't have a microphone plugin. But a PC does. So would the PC ignore the in line mic?

• David
    Favorite Answer

If the PC  comes with separate headphone and mic jacks you need a 4pole splitter to convert the single combined plug  on the headset in to headphone and microphone plugs.

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Gold-Plated-Separa...

Plug it in and see if it works. If not send the error code.