Can someone help me with my driving skills?

I have very poor driving skills. I got my license at 24, and i began driving my own car at age 28.

I get nervous when there's a car behind me when i'm trying to make a left or right turn, especially out of a parking lot, and when a car is behind me, I don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign like I should.

Today, I pulled out in front of a speeding car (didn't know he was speeding, just saw a huge gap in between cars, so I thought why not) and I ended up getting into a fight with a person that almost hit me. He ended up throwing a bottle of water at my car. But it could have been worse. I could have gotten a ticket, a damaged car (from vandalism) and increased insurance rates. Plus I'd feel stupid as I do now. 

Don't damn the guy, as he did the right thing. I was an idiot driver, and that's what happens.

Can you guys give me some advice on how to not be nervous when driving under pressure from other vehicles, that way I can't get into these kinds of troubles?

This is the (at least) second time I have pulled in front of moving vehicles. It's because of the pressure from vehicles behind me.

• Mystic
    Favorite Answer

Well, you got your license. That is a good sign and something to be proud of. You passed the driving exam and were deemed ok enough to be on the road!

Now, there are DEFINITELY some huge issues with your driving, especially since you've had your license at least 4 years now.

The pulling out in front of cars is a big hazard. It is a great way to get into an accident. If the other car is travelling fast and hits the driver's side (aka T-bones you), there is a good chance you may not survive the crash or at least will suffer serious injury. Even normal highway speeds can be fatal.

Make sure you understand assured clear distance. Cars are sometimes travelling faster than you may think. You have to determine if you have time to pull out SAFELY before they get to the intersection, drive, parking lot, etc. you're turning from. If you even THINK it might be close, just wait. It isn't going to hurt to play it safe and wait an extra few seconds until the oncoming car has passed.

Not making a complete stop is also not good. You need to feel your back end stop completely. Spelling out - S-T-O-P in your head before you go is a good rule of thumb. Be sure you check to ensure it's safe for you to proceed. Some people do run stop signs and fail to follow right of way laws. By paying attention, you can prevent a crash.

The driver who threw water on your car was in the wrong. Yes, you were wrong to pull out in front of him and he had a right to be annoyed by that... BUT two wrongs do not make a right. He shouldn't have went after you. Road rage is a crime. If another driver annoys you, do not retaliate or engage them. Just go on about your way. If someone is chasing you, try to make it to a police department. If you don't feel safe getting out of your car, sound your horn. That will get their attention and surely someone will come out and see what is going on. If you see unsafe driving, try to get a plate number to report the driver when you can do so safely. 

A good tip is to always allow for the other driver's mistake. You could be a great driver who pays attention but that doesn't mean everyone you're sharing the road with will do the same. Pay close attention to the vehicles you're sharing the road with. If someone starts to cross the centerline into your lane, remain calm and go over to the RIGHT side. Do not swerve or overcorrect and do not go towards the left side/centerline. You want to try to avoid the crash if at all possible. It would be much more ideal to go in the ditch or a field instead of getting in a head-on collision. Head-on collisions often result in at least one fatality.

Also, don't be afraid to have someone else who is licensed and more confident help you. You have your license, so you are allowed to drive alone... but you can still have a passenger too. Have them sit and observe your driving. Let them make notes on the mistakes they see and allow them to offer suggestions on how to correct these mistakes and prevent them in the future.

Driving is not a right or a game. It is a privilege. It can be taken away just as quickly as it is given. It takes patience, time and practice. Some learn and get comfortable quicker than others. Don't rush yourself, but definitely learn from your mishaps and refrain from running/rolling stop signs and pulling out in front of other drivers.

Good luck and stay safe out there!

• Snezzy

Must not let the pressure from behind bother you at all unless they physically start pushing your car, which is illegal in most places.

As for getting out in front of speeding vehicles, that happens sometimes. Just three days ago I pulled onto a road when there was nobody in sight, but suddenly someone, who must have been doing about 80 MPH on a 40 MPH road came up behind me and honked because he had to slow down. Well geeez, man, you were going too ghodd dammm fast!

That's an infrequent occurrence in the US south, where I live now, but in eastern Massachusetts it happens all the time. They drive as if to say, "Y'ar in my way. Git offa da road if ya can't drive faster!" One idddiot even tried to pass me on the right-hand side when I was making a right turn with my horse trailer. He got his car into the notch between my truck and trailer. He yelled at me to get out of his way. I could not go forward or backward without wrecking his car. Apparently I was supposed to levitate up 20 feet into the air to let him through. 

• Scott

From your description, you are unfit and unsafe behind the wheel. Seek professional help or turn in your keys and license. 

You don't need a driving instructor, you need a psychologist to help you get over your anxiety and "pressure" of cars behind you. 

just dont drive if it makes you too nervous

• The_mauster2 months agoReport

That's bad advice! i need help getting through the stresses of change and learning something!

• Anton

Driving is a JOB.   Safety trumps everything else.

• CB

Don't worry about cars behind you, if the honk, that is what your middle finger is for or put the car in park get out and say I WILL GO WHEN I AM GOOD AND READY SO STFU. Then get back in the car and go when it is safe. 

we're not pressuring you.. stop thinking that. when you see an opportunity go to SAFELY, then do so. if not, and you get into an accident, we have to wait there as we are now witnesses. so honestly, please just precede when safe

• jimanddottaylor

True.  The cars behind do not want anyone to have an accident .