Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 2 months ago

Why does the internet say that most autistic people don't do well or graduate in college?

I'm autistic and have started college this year and am doing just fine. I even managed to make some friends.

Why do news articles on the internet say such scary and mean things.

It haunts me whenever I hear people say that or whenever I read it online

I'm scared like really really scared. Should I quit reading things online about autism.

Favorite Answer

You shouldn't take what the media says to heart, because a lot of times, they're just saying things to sell advertising time. I'd ignore them.

You're either a fairly high level function autistic (autism comes in a wide range of abilities) or you're lying.  I have a neighbor who is autistic and while he works, I don't see him every making it through college.

• Starlight 1
      1 month agoReport

Your neighbor is probably on a different part of the spectrum. And just because someone has mild Autism doesn't mean they can't succeed at college and graduate. I have it too, and I hold a college degree. So I know it can be done.

in the past many more academically skilled people with autism were never diagnosed. so the statistics are based on people that are more severely affected.

there have been autistic people that were highly successful, but didn't know that had autism.

• Damien

autism means the brain didnt fully develop, so most autistic people will have a harder time but that doesnt mean someone whos autistic cant graduate, it will just be harder for them and they are also given extra time to write their exams.

• Starlight 1
      1 month agoReport

Damien, my brain is fully developed.... and I have mild Autism. In my case, it was caused by birth trauma, not because my brain didn't develop.

Many autistic people do not do well at college.  Many people who are not autistic also do not do well at college.  The important thing is that you are doing well.

You may quit reading things that end up scaring you, or you may read and remember that lots of things on the internet are not true