Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 week ago

What could this whistling noise be in my engine?

I have a 1996 Nissan Maxima.  When I crank my car their is a loud whistling noise coming from my engine.  When I accelerate or drive the car, the noise fades or goes away, but comes back once I’m at a complete stop.  When I turn on my a/c, it affects the whistling noise by getting louder at times.  Any idea what this could be?

• Ana
    6 days ago

See a mechanic. They’re not going to lie to you. If you have trust issues, see 2 different mechanics to confirm they identify the same problem 

• Check your air filter.

• 7 days ago

should be a bad belt or a bad pulley. 

• 1 week ago

should be a bad belt or a bad pulley. It will not affect your car much but the noise will get louder and louder if you don't fix it.

• 1 week ago

Sounds like a vacuum leak

• 1 week ago

im thinking it is a loose bolt

• 1 week ago

Could be one of the idler pulleys or alternator/water pump bearings are failing. Or, possibly, the exhaust manifold gasket is behaving like a reed if the exhaust manifold has warped and the exhaust gasses are passing between the head and manifold. In this case the exhaust manifold gasket behaves like a reed in a wind instrument and can make a lot of weird noise. 

They can remove the serpentine belt and spin accessories and pulleys by hand to check the bearings in those accessories. While the serpentine belt is off they can start the engine and listen for the same noise, if the culprit is the water pump and you have a water pump that is driven by a timing belt then the water pump and timing belt have to be replaced at them same time. 

If it's the exhaust manifold that is warped, this can be removed, sent to a machine shop to be machined or sanded perfectly flat and then reinstalled with a new gasket. 

Sometimes the donut gasket that connects the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe will crack and make a lot of weird noise. 

1 week ago

Likely a bad belt or a bad pulley.  See a mechanic.

• Ron
    1 week ago

You have a hose disconnected somewhere. Follow the sound

1 week ago

It's old age it wants to retire