promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What month does it start getting cold in the Northeast states? ?

I am curious to know what month does , New York State , Conn , NH , Maine , etcc start getting cold up there ????    When is the best time to visit these states? 

Thank You .

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Edd S
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

On Labor Day the temp drops 10 degrees almost every year but then rises again.  In October the cold starts creeping in and often there is a week of rain.  Then comes about 10 days toward the end of October or early November that is really very nice ie. Indian Summer.   I camp often at state parks so I prefer going in sept or October.   The parks empty out after labor day.  a couple weeks later they are nearly empty but the lakes and ponds are still warm enough for swimming and one can swim alone with crowds.    Inn rates drop after Labor day except for during leaf season.  In Maine and New Hampshire up where it is mostly evergreens there is less traffic during leaf season.     Spring is really nice in New England.   People's moods pick up. there is always one day before Spring actually arrives.  It is called spring day.   Folks come out of doors.  Students have classes on the lawns.   After the winter it is a day of pleasure and relaxation.  Hard to tell when that day will happen.   If you go to Mass, southern Maine, NH VT or CO during leaf season there is lots of traffic , rubber necking and lodging rates are high.   Anywhere in New England on a Friday be sure to have some fish and chips or clams and scallops.  Ask for suggestions of the best places and most often they are not fancy.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

January       .

• 2 months ago

Varies from year to year considerably.

I remember living near Rochester, New York in the 70s

and sometimes the first snow would be in September!

but usually October

and sometimes as late as November.

Things are warmer now.

When's the best time to visit - depends on WHY you are visiting.

If sight-seeing, Autumn is generally considered to be the best time because of the colorful trees. The "peak of autumn" occurs at different times in different locales (quite a bit different - Maine, for example, the leaf color change starts much earlier than southern New York).

If you want to enjoy Winter sports then of course you'll probably want to hit the area in January.

etc.

• MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It depends on what you consider cold.  But they get noticeably cooler in October, and colder from that point on.  A lot of people go in the fall (September and early October) to see the leaves change color.  I like visiting New England in the summer myself.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

depends upon how cold you want to get? Late October---early November and out to late April and early May.

• 2 months ago

Maine is considerably north of the others, and gets cold in early October. Late October to November for southern parts of New York. I visited New Hampshire, Vermont and Connecticut in early November once, looking at colleges, and have never been so cold!  I think September would be a good time to visit- a lot of people go in October to see the leaves change, so it gets more expensive. But it's also lovely there in the summer. 

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Define cold, we do have all four seasons and it is not unheard of to be 70 one day, 30 or 40 the next.

• Scott
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Central PA starts getting cold in mid to late October.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.