am a beginner who is in the university studying computer science, pls what's the best programming language for beginners?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 days ago
    Favorite Answer

Python / Java / C# / Ruby... But it'd be better if you consult with your faculty

• Login to reply the answers
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    5 days ago

You need to learn C first. No other language will teach you how a computer and operating system work, and no other language will teach you everything about programmin a computer that you need to know. All others hide very important things from you and prevent you from learning them. (Memory management for example.)

If you don't learn C first, you will have to learn it later, and you will have picked up very bad habits from your previous experience.

• Having that said I agree completely. Plus the answer below about BASIC. C can be also be learned from first through final versions to grasp it more intently since it's been around so long. And Basic uses peek & poke functions for sound / graphics learning.

• 6 days ago

First, learn BASIC. It is really basic and simple. And it teaches you the Concept.

Then learn any "object oriented language" . But do not prefer java or C, they are unnecessarily complex.

• I half agree here, Basic yes, but C also, not C++ or C# ... yet. I believe the C languages should be self-learned progressively - which also allows You to learn why the later versions were modified & how they were expanded from the designer's point of view.

• 6 days ago

JavaScript is simple

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 days ago

there isn't one.

focus on being a good programmer first.

if you've never programmed in your life,  I'd recommend Pascal or maybe try Javascript.  But Pascal is not a trendy language therefore if u want try Python for babies lol

The most important thing is not the language, rather, your ability to grasp the universal fundamentals of programming.

you need to be able to write basic stuff to begin wtih, such as outputting crap on the screen, performing basic string and arithmetic operations, irrespective of the languages built-in objects, methods etc.

you then need to understand how to write a function, a 'packaged block of code' that runs on its own.  Then you need to learn and understand how to pass in parameters to a function and how to return values out of a function.

this will help when you get into creating your own objects which need their own methods.

you need to know how to use conditionals, loop structures, creating objects, interacting with these objects, creating methods (functions) for these objects and properties for these objects.  should have mentioned this before the functions heh.

you need a strong grasp of understanding events, event handling and responding in to user and system events.

then undestand things like API's and how they work etc

the fundamentals are all the same no matter what language you pick to learn from.

but the three good ones I'd go for to begin with are

1.Python

2. Javascript

3. Pascal ( its underated ;-)

• PHP is another kicka55 language to consider, but maybe you're not ready for it yet lol

just go with JS for now ^_^

• 1 week ago

Python, Ruby, or Java after you learn the first two relatively well.

• Me2
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

Python is an ideal first computer language.  For writing for the Web, Ruby is a great choice.

• Python rocks, agreed.  Ruby is okay too.

I'd say maybe....JAVA, a high level OOP langauge might be a good idea ?

master that,  and you're set to conquer  the world : ))

• 1 week ago

Hi.  Most computer languages are just simple (or needlessly complex) translators between Human communication & what computers actually understand.

So, in that knowledge there is "No best language", just like the other answer says.

Since the software is basically a translator (Thus the name for coding software being an " [Language name] interpreter") from Human to computer-speak, It's necessary for You to learn *everything You can* these first 2 years.

There are several online courses that can help You become aware of what they'll teach You somewhat ahead of time, since You seem to be anxious to jump ahead to writing "Hello World" for the 80 billionth time later today. {Sorry, Jiffy-quick Programmers who cheat their tests & take cookie-cutter trade school courses annoy me somewhat}

But, Here's a really well laod out set of courses I recommend to most people enrolled in a Comp Sci class, each lesson runs about 11 mins or less, & You can watch them over & over again to match up with Your actual in-class learnings.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXt...

And if You want to get heavily advanced into the class lectures, try the Harvard school's training lectures online along with the ones from MIT in Massachusetts under the "Free Learning initiative".

Remember : The more You understand the logic of computers, the easier You can explain to them what You want them to do & how You want it done.

G'Luck!!!

• EddieJ
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

A beginner who is in the university studying computer science should consult advisors at the university.

It doesn't matter which is the best if the  university that they are attending doesn't teach that language.  And there is no "best".

• 1 week ago

I've heard python is good for beginners

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.