Fellow musicians, are there any websites that we can go to that provide information on gear used by professionals in the studio for records?

As an amateur guitar player, one of the biggest hurdles is trying to achieve guitar tones similar to the artists we're trying to replicate. Looking for any and all resources that could help me out with this. 

You can also look on Reverb - I have done well there with instruments for myself (backup) and students.  However - as my adult son ( master's degree in Digital Music and Recording Technology) will tell you - once you get interested in good pro audio, this is like joining a cult.There is NO END to learning, and buying, and selling, and learning, and buying, and selling . . . Expensive gear does not "make" a player.  My flute students, when I play-test their flutes, say they are amazed that their crappy band flute sounds so good - and conversely, they ask that if they played a flute like MINE - costs more than many cars! - would that make THEM sound really good, and FAST.  Nope - it would in fact hold them back; even the finest jockeys learned as kids on a pony - and NOW they can handle a multi-million dollar race horse.////  So if you are asking out of curiosity, who uses what gear (and you know they are often $$$ for saying so - works that way with ALL instruments, too) that is one thing.  The reality of it all - quite another.  And on various forums, at conventions, and in person, we pros always ask about "What are you playing?"  - and then we get into customization, then talk technique - then audio if we need it for your purposes (often, audio pros are hired and we can just so OUR thing.)

Guitarists here will talk about instruments, body modifications, strings, pickups - and there are many other forums that will help you.  But DO NOT SPEND $$$ until you know what you want.  I always say you need TWO instruments - one to learn on *for now* - and then another one, which maybe you should have gotten if you only had known more at the time.  I did that with my bass flute this past year - sold the *floor lamp* that worked "OK" - and bought a really sweet one for quadruple the price.  Happy now!

BTW - find the movie "Blood, Frets and Tears" - lots of insight into what you seek - I had wished there was more PLAYING - but then, there would have been less talking - and THAT was incredible.

• Emdog

Tommymc gives good advice. You also might want to check out Premier Guitar. They often have rig rundowns, etc. Subscription on line is free and great way to learn all sorts of things

I've consistently found those results by googling the "musicians name + gear".

• Murzy

Try Sweetwater .