Can a projector replace a TV?

If you own a projector what has your experience been? What are the benefits and drawbacks of owning a projector instead of a TV.  I've lost 3 TV sets to my cats and children so I'm considering getting a ceiling mounted Projector screen.

Favorite Answer

Go ask in the TV section. This AIN'T it.

You'll love it until you need to replace the lamp.

• P

Projectors are more complicated to set up with the extra wiring required (power and HDMI to ceiling mount connected to a HDMI switch with your devices), and pretty much require a home theater system for audio.  You also can't assume you can mount it anywhere since it needs to be the right distance for the size of the screen you are projecting.   If you need your family to be able to operate it you will have to get something like a logitech harmony remote, program it and setup an IR repeater.   Any room with a lot of sunlight or light will get you a washed out image or with cheap projectors it will be barely visible.  The only real benefit is you have a theoretically unlimited screen size.  The 4k projectors will start to cost a fair amount compared to a TV and if you don't go 4k the quality won't be there.  

I would suggest just mounting a TV up higher on the wall so it's not going to be as vulnerable to kids or animals.

Projectors are better for rooms where it's easy to block the light and those who desire a dedicated home theater room.   It's not the best for families who want to have the tv on in a well lighted multi use family room.