Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareFirst Aid · 2 months ago

Do you call them bandages or band aids?

Technically its bandages because band aid is a brand but i find that most people tend to call any bandage a band aid. Even if I were to ask for a band aid and be given a nexcare bandage i wouldn't think anything of it because i've been calling all bandages band aids my entire life.... thoughts?

Favorite Answer

Idk but can I have a Kleenex?

Band Aid is a brand name for sticking plasters. Supplied either as a roll which can be cut to size, or more commonly as individually wrapped items of various sizes and shapes. Most sticking plasters incorporate a wound dressing, but some are purely a stretchy adhesive fabric strip used to fasten wound dressings in place.

Bandages are fabric wound bindings or limb supports, usually supplied in a roll but they can be other shapes such as the triangular bandage most commonly used to make arm slings. 

Bandages sometimes are in direct wound contact but more commonly get used to hold a wound dressing in place.

So Band Aid (sticking plasters) and bandages are totally separate items. In nearly thirty years of working in healthcare I have never heard anyone else call a bandage a Band Aid. You’re the first for me.

Some people are all picky about wording....

I think there's a significant difference between a band aid, something used to cover small cuts, and a bandage, a strip of cloth used to seal major wounds.  You'd be an idiot to confuse the two.

• patty

both are different