promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStandards & Testing · 2 months ago

could i still graduate high school if i were to fail the SATS?

i’m a sophomore in high school right now. i have gotten all straight a’s so far (except for english) and i make sure i do all of my assignments and do them well. however, earlier in the school year, i took the psats and completely failed them. it had things i’ve never learned and some things i didn’t know even existed. i know the psats don’t count so i wasn’t worried about that but i was worried about the actual sats. if i fail them will i not be able to graduate high school? or if i do fail them will i still able to graduate? i also don’t care about going to college if my sat score would affect that - i don’t want to go to college at all.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

My suggestion to you is this;   screw taking SAT.  Do two years at Community College...get a 4.0 GPA.  Transfer to MIT.  Done.  No SAT needed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Yes.  PSAT, SAT, ACT, and all the rest of those tests have absolutely nothing to do with high school graduation requirements.  They are tests used in college admissions.  

If you really don't understand all of this, please meet with your guidance counselor.  If you want to go to college, you will probably need to take either the SAT or ACT.  

As an aside, you don't pass or fail these tests.  You simply get a score based on the number of correct and incorrect answers.  

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I have never heard of a high school that requires a student take the SAT to graduate. You don’t pass or fail the SAT, you get a score.  The SAT is taken to apply to universities. Most, but not all universities  require a SAT or ACT to apply.    It has nothing to do with high school. 

You could find after taking more classes, especially math and English, you will score better on the SAT.   Make sure to take it twice before applying to universities.  Get a SAT study guide book.   

You got some time before deciding to go to college.   And next year get a meeting with admissions office and take a tour of your local community college. There can be some good two year career programs. 

Also YOU should know all of your high school graduation requirements.  Seek out the info.  Your school’s handbooks should have that info. You can also check your HS web site and school district web site.   You should be sure you are taking all required classes and fulfilling any other requirements. 

• 2 months ago

SATs are for applying to college and universities. They do not determine if you graduate or not from HS.

Good for you with the A's. Those are way more important that SAT scores. In fact many colleges are scrubbing the SATs and ACTs and not using them anymore to decided on accepting applicants.

The other major consideration is what extracurricular activities you participate in or even lead. It's especially keen when you participate in an extracurricular activity that relates directly to the curriculum you want to take at the university. So, for example, if you lead the math club in HS and want to get a degree in math, a college will look favorably on that.

But why would you not want to go to college if you have low SAT scores? One of the most important steps in life after HS is in getting the training and education for whatever work you'll be doing to make a living for yourself and, maybe, your new family. And college grads on average make significantly more income than those who do not graduate from college.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jolene
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You do not even have to take the SATs to graduate. Those are strictly for college.

• rose2 months agoReport

thank you!

• Faithe
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Different states have different requirements for graduation, so you should check with your guidance counselor, but I do know that the SATs have NOTHING to do with high school in any state; just with college. If you pass everything, you'll graduate.

That said, with grades like yours, I hope you do either go to college or use your brains to start your own business. You can do intensive SAT tutoring to raise those scores.

All the best to you in your future!

• rose2 months agoReport

thank you so much!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.