Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 2 months ago

is it normal to feel like dying while running?

i was in gym class and we had to do 20 laps of running. i had to stop because i was running out of breath and felt like i was dying. im not athletic, but i did run before, but the experience wasnt the same. i knew running wouldnt kill me, but it felt like i was inches away from dying

Its probably because the air in your gym is dry. If that doesn't work, then I know a really good guy that also helped me with track. He is a personal trainer and he treats me like family even though its only been 2 months. If you want I can give you his number. (He is cheap! lol)

• Marvin

That is normal until you get used to it. In short order you will not get winded anymore.

• .

It's not abnormal to be out of breath, heart pounding, gasping for air if you are out of shape or if you make yourself run faster and/or farther than your body is prepared to run. Clearly 20 laps was more than you were conditioned to run.

• Adam D

That's what it's like to be out of shape and forced to run.

In general, slow down. Running out of breath and feeling like you are dying means  you were going too fast for that distance.

I have to ask "20 laps" around what?  If it is 20 laps around a standard outdoor track, that would be about 5 miles.That would be too far for someone who hasn't trained. But, if it's 20 laps around the inside of the gym or an indoor track, that might be an acceptable distance.

Tell your teacher to ***** stop. 20 laps are insane, it is plain wrong to do that much cardio unless you're a professional marathon athlete. 

The reason why you feel like dying is that your body needs fuel to keep pushing through the laps. Your muscles will be broken down to fuel your body. You will get cramps from the buildup of lactic acid.

Running that much is working against your health. I know because I am a personal trainer. 

• Adam D

Though if it were a track, that's 5 miles - more than is appropriate for gym class, but hardly a professional marathon level activity, and for someone in shape hardly enough that it is too much or will break down muscle.