Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

Why do people in general frown upon those who are confident in themselves?

• Linda
    Favorite Answer

Because they are insecure within themselves and feel threatened. Another thing I have noticed is when someone has worked hard to be successful and someone wants to knock them down from the status they have achieved, is some people who have an inferiority complex want to sabotage their accomplishments and make that person doubt themselves. Whenever I think someone is challenging me due to their own shortcomings, I usually will put distance between me and them so they don't affect me and what I am trying to achieve in my own life.

They don't.  People in general frown on overconfidence, not confidence.  Lemmy draw a comparison for you, just to illustrate the difference.

Person 1 is a regular joe who works an average job, but also serves his community as a volunteer firefighter.  Sooner or later the big call comes in, a fully involved house fire with children trapped.  He shows up to the house, sees that it's going like hell and could collapse any second, but there's a kid trapped inside.  Despite the cold sweat dripping off him, despite the fact that he knows he might die, he enters the burning house and carries the child out just in time.  No question about it, this guy is a friggin' hero.  He faced danger, felt the crippling fear, and had the confidence to overcome both of them.  Bravery only exists in the presence of fear.

Person 2 is a famous celebrity with billions of dollars, his own personal 747, a string of ex wives who hate him and a really bad fake tan.  He got famous for being a total douche bag who took immense pride in yelling "you're fired" at people, and has since made outrageous claims like personally improving the world economy and being the greatest political leader in the history of humankind.  

Which one is the perfect example of confidence, and which is the perfect example of overconfidence?