promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 2 months ago

How do you file a tax return from 2015?

I got a letter in the mail from Maryland claiming (rightfully so) that I didn’t file Maryland taxes (damn good-for-nothing tax software missed that state).

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You get the 2015 Maryland forms (from their website, perhaps), and fill them in.  You probably need your 2015 federal return (or get a transcript from the IRS).  You will also probably need need the state info from your 2015 W-2.  The state of Maryland may have that if you don't.  Your employer(s) from 2015 may have that info also. Good luck.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

For a 5 year old return, hire a TAX ATTORNEY. In theory, you can get the 2015 forms from the state and fill them out, but it is LIKELY you won't do it correctly without professional assistance.

Note: The software IS NOT even partially responsible. YOU are the problem.

• 2 months ago

Go to the Maryland Controller's website and look for prior years forms or you could pay me to do it for you.

• 2 months ago

You go to the Maryland site and look up the forms for 2015 and then fill them out and file them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

download forms from the MD website, track down a copy of 2015 software, or take it to an accountant

• 2 months ago

You have to get your hands on a blank 2015 tax return. Hire an accountant. Give him ALL of your tax information.

• 2 months ago

i would talk to the irs about it

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The exact same way you file one for 2019.  You may need to contact the IRS for your data if you lost it. The software did not miss it, you did. It asked, they all do.

• Will
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Walk into a local IRS facility and file it late. I did this for my 2017 taxes. If your address has changed since then, MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM THAT. Otherwise they will mail the check to old address that is on the 2015 form. 

People are saying to find software for 2015; it won't work. My dad likes to hoard things and still had the 2017 Turbo Tax software. I attempted to file electronically, but it said the season was over and I could not file electronically. You have to contact the IRS and file it late with the proper documents or, as I said, walk into a local IRS branch and give them the return form. All they did was take off a portion of mine and did the rest themself. Unfortunately my address had changed in the meantime and I had to call them up when it was obvious they sent it to the wrong address. 

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Which part of STATE tax return went over your head? Note: The 2015 software CAN complete the return. Electronic filing is just not an option.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.