How can someone smoke three packs of Camel nonfilters a day for 50 years and not get emphysema or lung cancer?

Favorite Answer

It's just the luck of the draw. There is an old timer lives down my street,  he's 81, smoked since he was 14 and he's still getting out and about.  Conversely my father passed away at 67  from a smoking related  illness.

• PAMELA

it is called luck, i have an aunt about to turn 102, she has smoked for over 60 years and her lungs are as clear as a bell, she amazes her doctor every year when she has a check up, she has no cough, nothing, she smokes about 20 a day!

• Tom

I. God was keeping an eye on them.

II. God has another plan for them.

• Edna

They can; but it's mainly going to be the luck of the draw if they ever develop either of those two ailments.  My father smoked at least two packs of nonfiltered Camel cigarettes every day for over 50 years and he never developed emphysema or lung cancer. 

they got lucky,or they might get it later

If they don't inhale.

Smoking doesn't mean you WILL die of lung disease, only that you have a much higher chance.  Every time I see someone smoking and I say 'You know, you shouldn't smoke,' they tell me about their grandmother who smoked five packs a day for 80 years and then got hit by a truck or something.  That's a totally invalid argument, but then I shouldn't tell people not to smoke anyway, because I'm sure they've heard how dangerous it is.

Rush Limbaugh was always one of those people who thought we were overprotected. Don't tell ME I can't cross in the middle of the street from between parked cars!  Don't tell ME that I shouldn't be allowed to own a gun if I have a felony.  The LIBERALS are lying about air quality and global warming and extinction, they're just trying to scare us.  WTF is wrong with smoking?  The tobacco companies did their own studies in the 60s and found it was totally harmless.  etc. etc.  That attitude made him very rich, and now it's making him dead.

I smoke 2 packs a day and I'm 86 years old. My doctor said that 20% of smokers are not affected by smoking. That it's a proved scientific fact.

• shroud

DNA works for some not for others

I knew a couple that smoked 2-3 packs a day,

both died of old age in their late 90s

• Rick

some people are just lucky I guess .................................