promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

What could happen to someone if they bought a condemned house and rented it out?

My family has lived in a house for about a year I just found out that was condemned, and bought for $500 in 2011. Not much work has been done to it. I've been there before, and I swear, the floors feel like they might give way...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The owner will certainly claim to have made improvements / repairs so the house could be rented. They would probably lose that argument but you would be in an awkward position while that decision is being debated. I believe you could, however, leave based on the condemned status of the property even with a lease. Just state the condition of the house is unacceptable which is a breach of the lease agreement. Also include that withholding of ANY deposits will force you into court where the condemned status of the house will be your primary defense and make it clear the rental was illegal.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

They wouldn't even be allowed to present the argument. Until the government inspects the property, it is ILLEGAL to allow anyone not present for the SOLE purpose of making repairs to enter.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Legally, you can be sentenced to jail just for allowing anyone to step foot in a condemned building unless they are making repairs, or are inspecting on behalf of the government.

• 2 months ago

Just because it was condemned then doesn't mean they can't fix it up and have it be OK and then rent it out. How much they paid for it is entirely irrelevant.

What you need to find out is if the owner has a certificate of occupancy, meaning people can actually live there. If they do not, they will need to refund all the rent.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

If it is condemned, that DOES mean it is a CRIME to rent it out. Even after repairs, the condemnation must be lifted after passing a GOVERNMENT INSPECTION before it can legally be entered for any purpose other than repair.

• martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The landlord who receives money for renting a condemned house has broken the law and is subject to fines and imprisonment.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You have to bring it up to code first. You'll get shut down by the city. The utilities won't turn them on. If you rented it they would sue you.

There's a lot that would happen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.