Volvo S80 V8 Reduce Speed or Shift up?

2007 Volvo S80 V8

A month ago, I had an issue where I was going full throttle, and my check engine light started flashing, and a notification on the screen stated reduce speed or shift up. I let off the throttle and the check engine light immediately went away, and the notification went away too.

I went home, did some research, and saw that a blinking check engine light meant engine misfire. So, I took my car in for an inspection at a shop (not volvo dealership), and they found no issues besides an alignment, and an issue with my wiper washer. 

I basically forgot about the issue, and the car works flawlessly. 

Today, the same thing happened. I was going full throttle, near or at redline, and the check engine light started flashing. Reduce speed or shift up notification appeared. I reduced speed, the check engine light went away, and the notification dissapeared. No issues the rest of the drive.

Is there any explanation for this? I've done a fair amount of research and can't find anything definitive online.

• Dan
    Favorite Answer

There are software updates for the transmission, take it to a dealer and make sure have the latest version. It sounds like the computer is either seeing or thinks it sees too many revs for the gear you're in.

Just checked again, there is also a software update for false misfire detection.

• Ryan2 months agoReport

I will do this thank you :)

If the spark plugs have already been replaced just slow the **** down jojo.

It sounds like you were nearing the rev limiter, and what you are experiencing is how Volvo notifies the driver to not blow the engine. :-)

Clogged air filter, clogged fuel filter, ignition coil pack/plug leads/plugs if its a petrol (gasoline) engine..