promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 2 months ago

If I move to Scotland, will people hate me because I'm English?

I've been with my Scottish girlfriend for nearly two years now. We currently live in England but we're making plans to eventually move up to Scotland. I've been up there many times to several different parts of the country and I absolutely love it but I'm worried about how I'll be treated as an Englishman - as daft as that probably sounds. 

Our ideal location is somewhere in the Dumfries area as it's not too far away from where she grew up.Do the Scots and the English really hate each other as much as some people make out they do?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

There are thousands of English living in Scotland.

You are talking nonsense.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Don't go telling everyone that England's better. Otherwise not a problem.

'See you, Jemmy' the Glasgow Love Call/

• 2 months ago

Kriss Donald was killed in Glasgow

• Dizzybyname
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

WTF?  Kriss Donald was a Scot murdered by Pakistanis.  What has this got to do with an English person?  Idiot.

• THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE CORNAVIRUS PATRICIA 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You get the odd nutter who believes everything the poision dwarf says and blames England for everything, but 99+% are friendly. Many have English relatives anyway.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you speak fluent Scots and/or Gaelic they won't even notice...

• TSK
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Things are varied..Many will say is WELCOMING to all...As long as not the loud English BIG I AM type should be fine...

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

"I've been with my Scottish girlfriend for nearly two years now"............" I've been up there many times to several different parts of the country"............. which answers your own question "Do the Scots and the English really hate each other"

• 2 months ago

Large numbers of English people live and work in Scotland as do Scots live

and work in England nobody has any problems.

• 2 months ago

Well, I'm Australian and I probably don't understand the finer points of Scotland-England relations in the 21st century... but I wouldn't expect there to be a problem.

I mean, if you're a total a$$, then of course people won't like you, but I don't think being English will be an issue, the Scots are used to English people, having lived with them on the same island for a couple of thousand years, and there are actually quite a lot of English people in Scotland. I think it will be OK.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.