Spyro asked in SportsWrestling · 2 months ago

Shawn Michaels during anytime in his career, or Johnny Gargano?

Who is/was a better seller?

Who can/could play the babyface role better?

Who is better at striking?

Who is better at brawling?

Who would get the better of who on the mat?

Who has better stamina/conditioning?

Who is better at making the fans feel a certain way?

Who is better at making the crowd react and getting them up out of their seats in a match?

Who is faster/quicker?

Who is more athletic and agile?

Who has better match quality?

Who has better charisma?

Who is a bigger workhorse?

• Candle
    Favorite Answer

Who is/was a better seller?: Shawn.

Who can/could play the babyface role better? Gargano.

Who is better at striking? Gargano.  Outside of the Sweet Chin Music, Shawn's strikes always looked pretty light to me.  Not bad, just not as impactful.

Who is better at brawling? Gargano.

Who would get the better of who on the mat? If we're talking realistically, based solely on size I'll say Shawn.  Even from a kayfabe perspective I don't know if Gargano's had the kind of mat savvy opponents that HBK did in his prime.  

Who has better stamina/conditioning? Gargano.  Shawn's spent many long haul matches in rest holds or stalling while selling on the mat.  Meanwhile, Gargano goes through his matches full speed ahead.

Who is better at making the fans feel a certain way? I'm inclined to say Shawn, because Gargano can't always dictate how the crowd feels about him.  NXT booking has been very wise in navigating his character around crowd reactions to him, and it's given him a few more runs in the short term as a sympathetic babyface that might not have been afforded to him if the bookers didn't listen to the audience.  It's also made for some very dynamic and humanizing character work.  With that being said, if Shawn wants an arena to boo him, he can get that reaction.  If he wants the white meat babyface pop, 9 times out of 10 he'll get it.

Who is better at making the crowd react and getting them up out of their seats in a match? Shawn.  Gargano isn't bad at it by any means, but Shawn's the showstopper for a reason.

Who is faster/quicker? Gargano.  Despite his lithe build and cruiserweight style of wrestling, outside of maybe the Midnight Rockers when they were comparatively faster than the rest of the roid bellied veterans, I don't tend to think of Shawn as a speed guy.  Gargano's got a very sudden impact style and amped up energy that he's very capable of tapping into.

Who is more athletic and agile? Shawn.  I hate to degrade the conversation to 'who can do a moonsault', but yeah.  Gargano's not the type of guy who takes to the air all that often.  Shawn's at home on the top rope, might as well have invented the kip-up and the skin the cat, and just generally leaves his feet more than Gargano.

Who has better match quality? This one's tough.  I try not to buy into the present all too often, but Gargano's body of work in NXT cannot be denied.  He went like two solid years as guy who consecutively steals Takeovers.  Looking at Shawn's best time in wrestling, which I'd argue was the early 2000's, the guy put on legendary bouts against Kurt Angle, Triple H, Jericho, John Cena, and of course Ric Flair.  That time was his prime in my eyes.  Even his TV matches were notable and often show stealing.  Gargano's tore it up with Ciampa, Andrade, and Cole in singles action, along with amazing bouts against Revival as a tandem with Ciampa.  Even with all of those matches and rivalries under his belt on the developmental brand, I don't think we've seen the prime of Gargano's career, which is amazing if you think about it.  Both guys have great psychology and storytelling in their matches.  Barring a potential bad main roster run, I doubt these matches on Gargano's resume will be lost to time.  Are they as legendary and impactful as Shawn's matches though? I'd argue that, despite the parallels in their in-ring career, Gargano hasn't attained that icon status in-ring.

Who has better charisma? Shawn.  Shawn's got a very showy charisma to him that has more levels than just one character.  Gargano's appeal is very common man Ricky Steamboat.

Who is a bigger workhorse? Until Gargano 'loses his smile' and goes home, I'll have to say Johnny Wrestling.  Maybe that's more work ethic than workhorsemanship, but even if we're going off of who seems to put the most hours into wrestling outside of the ring, I'd have to believe it's Gargano.  He's in better shape than Shawn's ever been in (and clean to boot), he's got that aforementioned stamina that Shawn never had at any point in his career, and he's busted his hump to put food on his table and make a name for himself whereas, to Shawn's credit, he was a chosen prodigy who really didn't have to try hard to put on great matches and gain influence.

Who is/was a better seller- I'll go with Shawn Michaels.

Who can/could play the babyface role better- Shawn Michaels.

Who is better at striking-  Johnny Gargano.

Who is better at brawling- Johnny Gargano.

Who would get the better of who on the mat-  It'd be Tough one.  I'll go with Johnny Gargano.

Who has better stamina/conditioning?- A Draw.

Who is better at making the fans feel a certain way- Sahwn Michaels.

Who is better at making the crowd react and getting them up out of their seats in a match- Hard one Maybe with Shawn Michaels.

Who is faster/quicker- Johnny Gargano. 

Who is more athletic and agile- Shawn Michaels.

Who has better match quality- A draw. 

Who has better charisma- Shawn Michaels.

Who is a bigger workhorse- A Draw. They'll always doing hard.