Whats it called when you take the lead vocals of a song and play them on an instrument instead?

I was wondering if there is a better way to word this. I wanna tab out the main vocals to my favorite songs and play them on my guitar. Any good tips or ideas on how to execute this process would be extremely helpful.

• snafu
    Favorite Answer

What you’ll be tabbing out is the melody line.

You could use a tuner app on your phone or whatever and expose each note to it.

• Coleman2 months agoReport

Thank you. I appreciate the good feedback

i would answer what it is called because I can imagine your pain but I don’t know what it is called so. sorry

Good musicians can listen and write it down.  Might take more than one pass. If we did not learn how as students, we were taught when in conservatory.

• Tony B

As two people have already said, when you take the vocal line in a song and play it on an instrument instead then the only word to describe the result is “instrumental”.

A better way to describe it would be to say that you are playing the melody. 

There really isn't any radically different way of putting it!

• Tony B

Lol, I think it's you who doesn't know enough. We answered the question YOU asked but you rejected the term “instrumental”. Like I say, read your QUESTION again (your QUESTION, not the details). The
      “lead vocals of a song” IS the melody line and YOU what it was called. Now, please go away. Idiot!

That, my friend, is an instrumental

• Coleman2 months agoReport

Okay Lame ***, your answer much like Tony B's and Bill's was 💯 percent unhelpful. It didnt shed any   light or understanding about what im trying to accomplish. On the other hand there seems to be No specific way to word The process of tabbing out the vocals of a song in order to play it on the 🎸.

It's playing the melody line.

• Bill

It's called an instrumental.

• Coleman2 months agoReport

No ****!? Yas you could call it an instrumental. But whats that gotta do with the Process of tabbing out the VOCALS of a song so that im able to play them on my guitar?