University at 44?

Hello, I have a friend who asked me to write this:

Is it possible to attend university at the age of 44 to get a higher qualification? He had finished his studies in Hungary then moved here but he couldn't go uni as he had a son. He has a permanent residency in the UK. 

So main questions are:

Can he go to university?

Would he be able to get a Student loan? 

Is there any tests he needs to do prior?

Thank you 

Keep dreaming. Never give up. You've got this. I remember we had a 70-year old student 

Do you wanna lose your house and everything you've worked so hard for up to this point??  Then no.

1.  Your friend will be able to attend a UK university but he will need to freshen up his qualifications first.  I suggest a couple of level 1 60 point courses with the Open University which will give him the equivalent of 2 A-levels and get him back into the groove of study.  He can do those whilst he works full time so no need to disturb his employment.  He can also do his entire degree with the OU if he finds that he enjoys remote learning. 

2.  If this is his first degree, he is eligible for a student loan.  If he already has a Hungarian degree, he is not eligible.

3.  No specific tests.

• drip

All they need to do is contact the universities he want to apply to. He can call or better yet get an appointment with the admissions office. 

I am in the US, but I would be shocked if there is an age limit in the U.K.

• Tavy

No age limit, a lady if 80 got a degree a while ago.

Of course he can, older people than that have gone back.

• martin

It's possible, but the realities of being that old would work against any possibility of financial assistance.

• Tavy

No.

I got my Post Grad at 45. My employer paid my fees, but I don't think I would have qualified for a loan as I had had a grant previously. There certainly are schemes but you need to check with the various funding sources as to eligibility. He may need to do an English language test but it is down to the university admissions policy. There are students a lot older so age is not an issue.

Yes. There is no upper age limit to attending university.

Universities have entry requirements; he'd need as a mature student to see what would be required.