Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificKorea · 2 months ago

What is the legal age in Korea for renting and job contracts?

I am turning 18 within a few weeks and trying to move to korea. I already have a plan about my job however I worry I would still be under the legal age to sign job and living contacts (to rent a bed in a home) and such. I have seen many posts where people say it’s 19 in korean age and I have seen people say it’s 19 in international age; however I can not find a credible source to share the correct answer. I have also seen on applications I have signed in the past for there that always ask if those under 14 need a parents permission, can someone explain this as well as the legal age to work and live in korea? Thank you in advance :)

• Andrew

You are obviously misinformed about the way things work. South Korea is not in the habit of throwing open its doors for foreigners that are disillusioned with their own country. There are very strict laws that dictate who may enter South Korea, how long that person is permitted to remain in the country, and what that person is and is not allowed to do whilst here. 

The legal age limit in South Korea has absolutely no bearing on what you're asking here. If you enter South Korea on a tourist visa, you will only be permitted to remain for 90 days. During your stay, you will not be eligible to rent an accommodation, open a bank account, register a mobile phone or set up an internet account, enroll in school or seek gainful employment because to do any of those things in South Korea, one must possess the proper documentation, and the only way to obtain that documentation is to either possess Korean citizenship or to possess a government issued work, study, or residency visa. And you don't qualify for any of the above. 

You are not eligible to work in South Korea, so you would not be able to apply for jobs as employers would not take a second glance at somebody who doesn't have a proper work visa. Without being legal, you would not be able to rent an accommodation - no landlord would rent to you, and it's likely that you'd have problems attempting to book a hotel or motel for a lengthy period of time. 

You're a teenager. You lack formal higher education. You don't have any work experience to speak of. You don't have proficiency in Korean. Exactly what makes you think that South Korea might be interested in accepting somebody like you? You have absolutely nothing to offer.   

The odds of you immigrating to the moon are better than those of you immigrating to South Korea.  

You have no chance of moving to Korea unless you marry a Korean citizen.