Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Am I giving my pup too much freedom too soon?

Almost 8 months. We have a small house and only last week was he allowed access to all rooms. He's very good, chews his toys only, I trust him for the most part, and he comes when called. But, he will get on the bed, look out the window, pace, go downstairs, look out that window, shoot back upstairs, whine on the bed, fall asleep, then do it all over again.

Am I causing him too much stress? He does this about once a day for a few hours. When I limit his access, he whines a lot, but will eventually settle into a bed with his toys or fall asleep. I don't want him thinking he can't have the whole house, but is he not ready for this or should I just let him be and "get over it?"

Favorite Answer

Does your home have enough space outdoors for him to roam? It may be that he's feeling cooped up inside, hence his habit looking out the window, pacing, and whining. If you don't have a backyard or enough space for him to roam outdoors, maybe you should take him on a walk, explore the world a little bit. Dogs have a definitive desire to be outdoors as it has always been a part of their nature to explore.

• Jazz2 months agoReport

That makes sense. Maybe he feels antsy, or just trying to get a sense of the world around him. Maybe when he goes into bed and looked out the window, looking out with him and just petting and doing your best to comfort him will be beneficial.

• A

he is still a baby and will be for at least another 6-12 months, He should learn that sometimes access is denied, he will get over it. There may come a time where he has to be barred from an area, if you are painting, making repairs, etc

I like that you're concerned about doing what's best for your dog, but based on what you said, I don't think too much freedom in the house is his problem.  

Young, healthy dogs that are restless and pace need more exercise.  A tired dog is a content and relaxed dog.