What is the proper “auto e-mail” reply for jury duty, since the employee is unable to include the date of his/her return?

"I'm currently out of the office and do not have a set return date.  Please contact xxx at < insert phone number > for assistance".

Response for internal emails (coming from other people within the company)

"I am currently out of the office for jury duty and unable to provide an estimated return date. Please contact (name of backup person) at (phone number or email) for assistance during my absence.

I do not provide the phone numbers or email addresses of other employees in my auto-response outside the company. Before I leave for a scheduled vacation or absence I notify any outside suppliers who my backups will be. So my notice would say something like this:

"I am currently out of the office for jury duty and I am unable to provide an estimated return date. For immediate assistance with active projects please contact the person previously identified as my backup. I will address all other matters upon my return"

-This way my auto-response doesn't give out the contact information of my co workers for sales reps to spam them with unwanted sales pitches. But for companies that actually have active work I would have provided info for 1 or 2 backups to keep things running.

I am currently out of the office for jury duty service.  If you need immediate assistance you may call Jenny at 867-5309.  Otherwise, I will respond to your email upon my return.  

• Lolly

JOE SMITH IS UNAVAILABLE, IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE CALL XXX-XXX-XXXX.