Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 2 months ago

How to find musicians to put chords to melody and lyrics?

I'm a singer/songwriter who has never been able to learn how to play an instrument. I've written several songs with lyrics and melody however and love to sing. How do I find someone to help put music to my songs? I would like to eventually record them and put them on soundcloud. I feel like not playing any instrument is really holding me back as an artist but I don't want to wait to follow my dream! help please! when I google "musicians for hire near me" it just brings up local musicians that play for weddings and events, but I need someone willing to work with me on songs that I've written, that's it.

actually i worked with MANY people who put music to my songs, now these people are in college,or we are out of touch. They're PLENTY of artists out there who don't consistently play instruments &still songwrite:ariana grande, christina aguilera, celine dion, selena gomez, the list goes on, it's difficult, NOT impossible. My Q was simply if there is an easier way to find artists nearme or if there are keywords i could use to search. people are a lot more helpful than ya think,ya cynics. 

Favorite Answer

It's not what you want to hear, but you aren't likely to get anyone to do this, period, and certainly not without paying for it.

The lyrics and melody are easier to complete than the rest of a musical composition.

Instead of flailing about attempting for find someone who'd like to work with you, it makes more sense to bite the bullet and learn to play an instrument capable of chords, either piano or guitar. You would also need to learn musical notation so you can write down the music you create. Edit: And I agree with Hernando, learning music theory is important as well.

You may have to pay for someone to do that. I suggest you learn basic music theory and take piano lessons.You may have written some lyrics, but how could you write the melody without being able read music?

So - you had some HS kids - with no intense training in the level of theory needed - who stuck some chords under your stuff?  You wrote some words, put it to some meandering melody out of your . . . head - and you refer to yourself as an ARTIST?????  The word clueless is far too mild to describe this.  In all the years I taught vocal music and THEORY in middle and HS in NY, I had many kids who walked around with notebooks full of teenage wailing.  Good for their mental unburdening.  The ones who actually STUDIED music - took instrumental lessons, took Theory classes, won seats in honors groups in region and state - were getting a fine educating and working hard.  Many were accepted into good colleges where they went much further.  The world us FULL if students like you - and do not for ONE MINUTE think that the Stars you admire are telling the truth when they say it is ALL TALENT  and they write all they own stuff. Fine pros will work uncredited if the check is big enough - and can churn out whatever that singer needs.  You may actually have talent - but unless/until you get a GOOD EDUCATION in music, fo not expect any results.  Right now, i don't think any qualified pro musician would add accompaniment, etc. to your stuff. But a qualified teach can give you a decent assessment.

• Audra2 months agoReport

I also never said that any of the artists above wrote their songs on their own without COLLABORATING with someone to help them. You don’t even know me. And who are you to go around bashing people for calling themselves artists, you don’t even know me, thank god. But thank you for your input. 

>>I've written several songs with lyrics and melody however and love to sing.<<

I'm not sure what you mean by this if you don't play an instrument. How are you "writing" the melody? I agree with the other responder - you need to learn to play an instrument and learn music theory. Anyone can write some words down and call themselves a songwriter but most of the time they're just kidding themselves. Do yourself a favor, take a step back, and learn an instrument.

• Mamianka

I have HAD IT with clueless children who think THEY are the next BIG STAR - yet refuse to LEARN anything about music. If this was a sport - they would no want to break a sweat.