Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How to get dog to stop terrorizing my cat?

I have a 7 month old pup. Only lately has the chasing gotten really bad. My kitty isn't an angel, will tease and taunt the poor dog. I have tried to redirect, good behavior, LEAVE IT, LEAVE THE CAT ALONE, but to no avail. The cat, when calm, loves to sit on my lap, but even sleeping, the dog will wake up and start to rile everything up.

The cat will fight back when necessary. The dog has gotten really good at blocking him in corners and barking at him, scaring him to the point where kitty will hiss and ears are back. I have seen that carrier method, anyone have experience with that?

When the puppy was younger, he was scared of the cat. Not so much anymore. I know he just wants to play with the cat, but the cat doesn't want to. The pup is not out to kill him or anything, I just want a peaceful household. Id o try and play him, wear him out, but that doesn't matter. He could be comatose tired and still find a way to wake up and terrorize the cat! Help!

Favorite Answer

As I recall, you have a terrier or terrier mix with probably HIGH PREY DRIVE.  Most terriers' job (regardless of breed) was to GO AFTER furry vermin & some (like the Jack Russell) were to bolt rabbits and be a hunting terrier.  (HINT: the cat is not that different from (fox, badger, gophers, etc.)  If you have any herding mix in your terrier, it makes him super high energy and prone to try & herd (or harass) just about anything.

My advice is for you to separate the cat & the dog, by crating him (some).

2) Consider sending the dog to doggie day care (to get his energy out there) and taking some OBEDIENCE classes, to get MORE CONTROL (than you have, now).

3)  Give the cat a CAT DOOR into a safe area (pantry, laundry, bathroom) only she can go into (VIA a special collar that opens the cat flap/door for JUST HER) or she needs a separate part of the house; behind baby gates or closed doors.

• ZotsRule

You're a HORRIBLE pet owner.  The baby gate is useless when you're letting the dog CORNER the cat.  Give the aggressive puppy back to where you got it, idiot.

Not knowing anything about the 'dog' it would be hard to say. The puppy play could kill the cat & the cat knows it. It is a cycle, cats chase rats, dogs chase cats, the bull tumbles the dog.

This is kinda childish but it is a nursery rhyme from yrs & yrs back. Shows you the cycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=7sDSYVfnj...

IF you have done any research on this, you would have already found this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stop+dog+from+chas...

• Maxi

"Leave it" is only useful if the dog KNOWS what it means........so what obedience does your pup have, if you say 'leave it' to a treat on the floor will your pup obey? If not then you manage and control your pup which means ON A LEAD and teach obedience...then once you have practiced over several weeks 'leave it' means just that regardless of what you are asking the pup to leave and that will also include the cat......and if you can even stop a dog when the cat is on your knee, then you have no management/control or done any obedience

• Lv 4

Yes, he leaves EVERYTHING but the damn cat. Won't beg for food while we're eating, won't even glance up, but the cat? He has a vendetta and wants him for some reason