promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What are the downsides to hydrogen fuel cell-powered cars? Are there any other kinds of 0-emissions cars?

Electric cars seem to be all the rage. But the lithium mining for their batteries is very harmful to the environment, and the electricity used to charge those batteries comes mostly from coal. Since most of the developed world wants to remove all nuclear power or anything that can generate electricity that isn't solar, wind, coal, or fossil fuels, that means that the gains from switching to electric cars might be undercut by further dependence on fossil fuels, bringing us back to square one.

Fuel cell cars on the other hand seem to be cleaner, but their issue seems to be that hydrogen is extremely volatile and prone to exploding (or so I've heard; I'm not a chemical engineer). Will fuel cell cars ever pick up in popularity like electric cars?

Also, what other kinds of zero-emission cars could work on a massive scale? Asking out of curiosity.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • alan P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

People have been talking about the hydrogen economy for decades but hydrogen is difficult to transport and store.  You can make an internal combustion engine run on hydrogen but it's not very practical

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Mr. P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The one major downside to this plan is that not long after hydrogen fuel cells were invented, they realised there was not enough catalyst material on this planet to make all vehicles use them.

Plus for the batteries we are rapidly running out of those elements too.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Where does the hydrogen come from?  That's right from water and it takes a lot of energy to separate the hydrogen and oxygen that makes up water.  It's amazing how the globalist elites can use scientific ignorance for their sinister power grab.

• Xavier2 months agoReport

"Muh gl0balist el33tz" is not an answer but you made me laugh so +1

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.