How do I find headphones that block out noise?

I just spent an hour arguing with the workers at BestBuy before finally coming home with some "noise cancelling" garbage that uses microphones and opposing noises, and frankly, I'm not impressed.

There are still a lot of noises I could hear just fine, even with the "active hearing protection."

I was asking for foam insulation, and a stiff headband to deliver a firm seal, but they don't seem to offer it anymore. They didn't seem to even understand what I meant when I told them I wanted more padding.

I'm sick of paying a fortune technological gimmicks when all I want is durability and insulation.

So how do I find headphones with traditional methods of hearing protection?

Get some cement and bung it in your ears attached to the earphones.

dre.beats.

best known so far for noise cancelling.

Live in a quieter house

Well, guess what?????

That technique of using microphones and all

is the Best way to cancel noise.

If you don't or can't properly fit the headphones,

of course they won't do the best possible job.

I believe the main problem is something that is under your control,

so I suggest carefully reviewing everything about what you are doing

and how you are doing it.

Maybe someone can help you in person?

Best noise cancelling headphones are a make called Sennheiser....that's what they use in recording studios

Source(s): Because I know

isave your lungs and noses all around the world drink cocaine little never over dose .5 if you feel to addicted if not good asio to blame

• Tony B

Headphones, noise cancelling or not, are NOT intended to give any kind of hearing protection - you're looking for the wrong thing!

You need to look for “ear defenders” or maybe “ear protectors”.

go shopping in seconhand shops great deals in audio can be had there,,upscsle  used audio shops,they get older stuff all the time

dr dre beats,,noise cancelling,,just modern jargon for stuff that is inferior to 70s and 80s made stuff by pioneer,koss,sony,kenwood,etc

they had usually thicker wiring,sturdier quarter in plugs,long cords w thicker insulation,why do  companies these days sell such crapola?

costs in manufacturing shipping ( 30 years of creeping inflation) taxes labor costs,, they want to persuade customers that their crap is worth the 3-400 bucks a pair they are not,

trouble with the older headphones is  modern stereo sockets on current AV units are deliberately reamed out a bit larger that the old items,loose fitting stereo contacts along the path  mean dropouts and static

Try some Sony MDR-7506 headphones.

They are over-ear, fully sealed, professional grade studio headphones with pretty good sound isolation.

You can get them for less than 100- if you shop around a bit.

They are also very comfortable and very durable, they even have a spare parts list with them.

You have to realise that none are perfect at blocking external noises, there is always some sound leakage - all they can do is attenuate it.

"Active" noise cancelling ones as you have tried can work very well, with certain types of noise, where it's something repetitive like an engine, but they are generally not so good on random noises.

I have some earbuds I use on planes - it's like turning the engines off, all there is left is the wind noise and such.

• mark2 months agoReport

Spare parts mean they break easy

Try hardware stores and home centers like Home Depot and Lowes.  They have both kinds:  the kind you stick in your ears and the kind that look like old stereo head phones.  Also shop at gun stores.  Shooters always need hearing protection.  Don't expect 100% sound muffling.  Noise will vibrate your head bones and you will pick up sound.