promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

i'm 17, graduated from high school, live in america, and want to study abroad in germany. where do i go starting from blank?

hi there. i turn 17 come the 23rd of this month, and i graduated from highschool in october of last year with a GPA of about 3.5. could be better, yeah, but i'm not trying to get into harvard or anything.

i currently live in america and have been heavily considering moving in with my father, who works overseas a lot, to germany, when he could land a job there. well, that's taking a lot longer than expected, so i decided why not kill two birds with one stone and try studying abroad?

thing is, i have no clue where to start. i think i'd want to get my degree in something like game design (preferably somewhere where they also teach me 3D modeling and animation) or, if that doesn't work, advertising. this school in particular sounds perfect: http://www.btk-fh.de/en/program/game-design-bachel... (though this school https://www.bib.de/footermenu/en.html has also caught my eye)

so, where do i begin? i'd like to know absolutely everything i'd need. i know absolutely nothing about applying for colleges, much less universities in germany. (would've liked to learn how to do that in school rather than complex math formulas i'd never use...)

once i'm done with school, i'd like to also stay in germany to live there. it seems much better than america, and i have some friends in germany too :) thank you!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Do some research and pick several schools you want to attend and apply to them. Certainly you understand this will all be taught in german so if you are not fluent, start working on that "yesterday". An online search for specifics should be enough to get you started.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Are you fluent in German at a high academic-technical level of proficiency? Entrance exams for German universities, reputed to be among the world's most difficult, are in German, of course.

Student visas are temporary non-immigration visas so you will not remain in Germany. You must return to your country of citizenship immediately upon completion or termination of full-time studies.

If your father was employed in Germany on a temporary employment visa, you would age out of your dependent visa before you could graduate. There are age limits for dependents.

• 2 months ago

Though most Germans speak English, learning German would make getting hired a lot easier, and German is hard for English speakers. Start now if you're serious.

Germans are both more reserved than Americans and more liberal. Punctuality is a big deal, as is making too much noise. It would make sense to watch some documentaries about Germany and Germans, and these are on YouTube. Good luck!

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

For the first link you post.  Read the web site and contact them with questions. Information is right there on the web sIte.    Do they teach in English.  What are their requirements to apply. What documentation needed for your application. And will you have the funds to attend. Not just tuition, but room and board, food, health care, transportation, personal needs, clothing.  If you have all that apply. Application is on line.   

You will be there on a student visa and will be required to leave once you complete your studies. Read up on their immigration laws. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

First, many European universities now offer degree programs entirely in English, in order to attract students from other European countries. So ignore the responses that say you have to be fluent in German.

The websites of the universities have all the information you need on how to apply. Do a search for "international students". You'll find application forms and what you need to do to get a student visa. 

• Lili
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Attending university in a foreign country involves far more than classes. You have to LIVE in the country, function well there, and that means attaining a high level of proficiency in its language. My German colleagues add that it's unrealistic to expect a lot of English-language classes there.

• 2 months ago

contact the schools directly, preferably in your excellent German, and enquire

• Expat
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

As a university professor in Japan who’s American but got my graduate degrees in Australia and the UK, I’m my school’s resident source for our students who want to study abroad. I’ll tell you what I tell them.

First, how’s your German? I hope it’s quite good. If it isn’t, you’ll need to consider how to boost it to a fluent level for all 4 skills; universities in Germany are no joke and there really is no such thing as a bachelor’s degree - university degrees in Germany are Masters or higher, so expect a level of work greater than you’ve yet experienced.

But most of all, you need to contact the university and talk with them to find out what documents you need, any particular test scores you need, the cost, living accommodations, student visa process and likelihood of being accepted. While this may all seem like a lot, if it seems that way to you m you’re not up for the challenges of life as a student overseas. So get proactive and do the research and get your answers. And go for it! Studying abroad is fantastic!

• ...Show all comments
    • Very few offer programmes entirely in English although many have some courses.  But you cannot enter a German university from the US without passing an exam which is given only in German because the High School Graduation certificate is not considered sufficient.

• 2 months ago

Do you speak fluent German? German universities teach in German.

Can you afford to? As a foreign student you'd need to be able to pay in full for your studies there, including higher international fees.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Can you speak fluent German ?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.