silly me asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

Can someone help me out about adoptions?

In 1984 i gave birth to a healthy baby boy. two month after i had my son home with me the Children's Aid took my son away from me and he was later put up for adoption. I just got a letter in the mail telling me what my son's name was after the adoption was finalized cause whoever adopted him changed my son's name. so what i want to know is how would i go about looking for my son? my son just turned 36 the other day ago and i still don't know where his whereabouts is. i was suppose to know where he was when he turned 18 but he turned 36 like i said the other day ago. this system is so screwed up

• kitta

You are in Canada? Your laws are different from ours (in the US).  I think that most of your provinces allow adoptees and birth mothers to have each other's names, but I do not know what the details are about searches.

Perhaps you should contact whoever, or whatever official, sent you the letter that gave you your son's new adoptive name.

There should be an official who can help you.

• Kelly

If you know his name, you can search for him by that...  does he have a common last name or something?

It sounds like your parental rights were terminated.  

How were they able to guarantee that you'd get his information at age 18?  Most adoptees don't even get this information.  In most states after finalization the adoptee is given a new amended birth certificate with their adoptive parents names on it and then the original is sealed by the state...  when that happens neither the adoptee or either set of parents has access to the original.

Avenues to search are social media and possibly things like ancestry.com or 23 & me DNA kits.  He may be searching for you.

You have his name - is it such a common name that you can't find him based on that?

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.
  • Tulip

You were to know at 18 and yet now at 36 it has dawned on you to wonder? Good grief