How to setup two routers at the same time?

Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to connect two routers in different places with the same network, I mean I have service with xfinity, a router on the first floor and the other router on the second floor. In order to expand the signal, and if it is not possible then how could I use the two routers in the same room with no interference between them. Sorry for my English, I hope I explained myself well.

• P

You don't have your network terms correct so you are getting a confusing set of answers.   You can setup two routers connected by an ethernet cable configured on different subnets, but I'm guessing that's probably not what you want to do.  It sounds like you would need to switch the one router not connected to Comcast into a wireless repeater mode assuming it has one.  Otherwise you would need to buy a wireless repeater\extender.  

You can not use two routers over the same Internet connection. You would have to have a different ISP connected to each of the routers. You would then have to choose which one you wanted to use. You can not use both at the same time.

If you are not getting enough coverage from the one router, you want to get a range extender. It is a device that you plug into an electrical outlet. It connects to the wifi signal from your router and rebroadcast. Position it neat the edge of your wifi signal and you can increase its range by 50%. Put it half way between the router and the last PC it needs to reach for the best coverage.

• Lv 7

the question is, why do you need 2 routers?

if you just want better wireless coverage, you should use a wifi extender, putting it halfway between the router and the farthest point of coverage. if you want the signal to be more reliable, you could use an access point instead, with a wire running to it from the router.

if you need to run a ton of wires to various points upstairs,, a switch would be better. then you can run one wire from the router to the switch, then run wires from the switch to each device on the floor.

two routers is seldom a good idea, for a lot of reasons.

It should be possible to use one as a repeater, but you'll need to do something like turn off DHCP on one of them, but I'm not sure which one.

Doing so may defeat the purpose of your goal, though, so check all the documentation.

Good luck.