promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHorse Racing · 2 months ago

Horse racing: Anybody know the fate of the horse that broke down in the 4th at Oaklawn this past Sunday?

Update:

I watched the race on TVG yesterday. The poor horse looked like he/she snapped a leg, and then stumbled and went down. No mention has been made of what happened to either horse or rider since that happened. I presume that the horse was likely destroyed, but I can't be sure. Anybody else watch that race?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Fernando De La Cruz escapes injury in fourth-race spill at Oaklawn

Jockey Fernando De La Cruz escaped serious injury in a one-horse spill Sunday at Oaklawn Park, according to Bernie Hettel, the state steward at Oaklawn. His mount, Spirogyra, had to be euthanized due to catastrophic injuries, Hettel confirmed.

De La Cruz was thrown to the ground approaching the half-mile pole of the $16,000 conditioned claiming sprint at six furlongs, while racing along the rail. De La Cruz remained on the ground for a while and Hettel said attending medical staff reported he had his wind knocked out of him. He has been cleared to ride.

Spirogyra was a 4-year-old son of Verrazano who was coming off a win in a $15,000 conditioned claiming race at Turfway Park on Dec. 21. He had been claimed three times in his nine-race career in which he earned $80,216.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.