Is it wrong not to invite my father to my wedding?

He has barely been a dad, and I’m considering not even telling him I’m engaged. I don’t want him there and my mother also thinks he shouldn’t be told 

Since having a child and getting engaged i have lost all my friends, so it’s going to be a small wedding as is 

Decided to not invite him 

• marty
    Favorite Answer

It isnt wrong at all. Your wedding is an important event in your life and you shouldn't have anyone around you that may bring bad thoughts. Congratulations to you.

He hasn't been a part of your life so it's understandable why you don't want him there. He sounds like a sperm donor, not a father.

No, it's not wrong at all and you have the right to refuse to invite that person.

at least TELL him...

idc what he did in the past, grow up and be the bigger person.

You don't have to invite him or have him walk you down the aisle.  It's your choice so feel comfortable with that choice.  I don't want my father at my wedding either and I'm sure nobody agrees... he sexually abused me and I had a child.  First the family told everyone I was a liar then they started saying that I'm crazy and delusional.  I'm on medication now but I am not crazy for no reason.  I actually shouldn't say I am crazy but that's how they try to make me feel.  You're blessed your dad just wasn't present if what you say is true.  And I can see how you don't want him there if he wasn't around before now.

If you don’t have a relationship with him then there’s no reason he needs to be invited or even told. No need for you to feel bad about it.

If you want to scream "I hate my dad" to the rest of your guests, go for it.  

Is there some reason he shouldn't be there other than it would make your mother happy?  

"he only really contacts me on my birthday and holidays and doesn’t bother really any other time"   And how often do you contact him?   If you want a relationship, it shouldn't be one-sided.   If you don't want a relationship, then by all means, don't initiate anything and don't invited him to the wedding.

Why have you lost all your friends since you decided to have a child and get married?   I've never dumped friends for that.   Odd that all yours have. 

It's your wedding.  You can invite (or not) whomever you want.   There is not right or wrong.   But there will be consequences to your decisions.   So figure out what your end game is and act accordingly.

What are the reasons he was barely a dad? Was he constantly working to support the family? Was he avoiding your mom? How much of your dislike for your dad may have come from your mom disliking your dad? Ultimately it's up to you as to whether you invite him or try to forge a relationship with him as an adult and quite separate from your mom. Sadly, a lot of men, in trying to avoid the mom, end up hurting their children or somehow think the children are better off without them. It's rarely true that children are better off but I've seen more than one adult child be poisoned against the other parent that weren't even aware that it happened. It's not even something that your mom may have intentionally done. But she may have done it nonetheless. And all this time you might have had the love of both parents instead of just one that was maybe a little jaded. Maybe he really was a son of a b*tch though. I don't know him but I do know parents that basically forced their kids to choose a side and it's very, very wrong. I am a mom btw. I just know other women that had perfectly good exes that made their children think that they were not good because they didn't give enough child support or they cheated because the wife didn't want s*x anymore or whatever.  Just make sure before you cut daddy out that you have the whole story and not just the one your mom has been feeding you. Kids - even adult kids - deserve as many people that love them as possible.

It is you wedding you can invite or not invite whomever you wish.