Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 2 months ago

Is it appropriate for interview to ask personal questions?

Is it appropriate for an interviewer to ask about my age, marriage status, and if I have any children? It was for a customer service position and I've never worked for customer service before so I clearly do not know how they go about interviewing their employees. Also, I am a someone going back to school after a long pause and that workplace was looking for students for that position so I thought I'd give it a go. In addition to those questions, he asked my race and I told him. He laughed so I assumed he never heard of it before.

FYI, this took place in California, United States.

• Pam

It is absolutely 100% illegal for an employer or prospective employer to ask those questions.

• B

personal questions related to your sexuality and age and birth control are not supposed to be asked. if they do ask, then you can tell it is not a reputable company you would want to work there

• Kate

Some, but not all, personal questions are designed to find out whether you have other committments that may mean you are not available when they need you. Also they are trying to fnd out what kind of person you are and if you will fit with their workplace culture. There is a fine line though and if you think a question is too personal you have the right to question it.

• Eva

All of those questions are illegal in the US. The only time they can ask about age is if the position requires someone to be over a certain age. Even then, they have to phrase as "are you over 18 (or 21 if that is the requirement)".

• Kyle

probably not.  but you should also assume for the jobs you're applying for, that you can work their hours.  if it's standard 8-5, you should expect to be there 8-5.  

if they ask you again in other interviews, you can ask why they need that information for that job.  you wouldn't be applying if you had any other conflicts.  

This is an International site.  WHERE?