promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

The Bible says honor thy father and mother but what if I don’t like my father?

My father is ignorant and he’s full of lies.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You still have to honor them.

If you are an adult, it means you on occasion do things for them that make them happy.  If you live close to them, maybe treat them out to eat every so often.  If you live far away, write them on occasion asking them how they are doing.

My wife once hated her mother, but I knew she still had to honor her.  So with her permission, I would occasionally write a benign letter to her mother, and even sign it for her.  When we would visit her and her father, my wife would be cordial, friendly and nice, even though at times she was boiling inside.

Here's another way to look at your situation.  Guaranteed when your children get older, you are going to say or do things that they don't like.  What you do NOT want to do is set the example that the solution in such situations is a total cutoff of one's parents.  You know the saying, "What goes around comes around".

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

You still have to acknowledge that he provided for you while you were growing up.

• Retief
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Then you have to decide if you want to follow the Bible or your own feelings.

• 2 months ago

If you're an adult, then you don't have to live with him. That solves any y relationship problem for anybody.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mack
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Parents can be pedophiles and abusers just like anyone else.  You choose who you honor not some collection of stories from sheep herders.

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Hello ivanka how are you? How is your Mom. Ivana? 

• 2 months ago

Treat him respectfully but have as little contact as possible with him.  We're not obligated to spend time with people who upset us.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
  • Piero
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The bible says you must honor him, not judge him.

• 2 months ago

I do not see that the commandment gives you any exception. It does not say honor your father and mother except if you do not like them.

• 2 months ago

TRY TO LOVE HIM ANYWAY....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.