Need info on Volkswagen car?

Hi I am trying to buy a used car and I am going to look at a 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan Wolfsburg Edition sport utility with only 117,000 miles on it and I don’t know much about cars. Can anyone tell me how long the engines last on this car and any other info I need to know before purchasing please. Thank you

• ron h

info on a 19 year old European car?  Don't buy it. 

• Robert

Cambelt changes? Expect 2 at least. Other things are air cleaner filter and engine glow-plugs with diesel engine. All about service life left in these components.

A logical and intelligent person who knows nothing about cars would arrange with the owner to take the vehicle to a qualified VW specialist and have them do a thorough pre-buy inspection and test drive. This may cost $100-$200 but would be well worth it. Otherwise, all you'd be doing is gambling unless the owner has full maintenance records, has maintained the vehicle according to the schedule in the owners manual, and has driven the vehicle gently. 

• david

Engine major, engine minor  and overall reliability are all double red arrows down which means terrible on 2010 Tiguan according to Consumer Reports. That's why the resale value is so low.

Can you tell me what kind of car owner you are going to be?

• Scott

Nobody can tell you how long the engine will last on THAT particular car. A car's longevity is determined by how it's been maintained. We don't know that.

it must have service history ...i was recently in a taxi ..2 litre VW passat ..diesel ..over here in uk our engines are not restricted like america ..so 60 mpg is not hard ..with performance to match ...the taxi had been serviced every 12000 miles ...it had 470.000 miles on clock ..it ran perfect ..no rattles ..no smoke ..and still looked great ..so mileage is not everything ...my mates has a renault scenic ..over 580.000 miles ..again never been touched ..just serviced ...inspect the service book very carefully ..they are easy to forge the stamps 

My first rule of buying used cars: Never buy a car with more than 50,000 miles on it. I handled auto claims for about 30 years.

Source(s): Retired claims adjuster.
    • KY-Clay

That rule was a good one in the 1960's but todays car can easily last over 100,000 miles with no major problems.