Lo asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 2 months ago

Knitting a hat?

I was told you could knit a hat by knitting a rectangular shape and then threading a length of wool through the final row of stitches before removing from the needle, pulling the wool tightly, tying and then stitching up the back, is that possible?

I hope this makes sense

I don’t need a pattern as there are many available online, I’m only asking if this method is possible.

Thanks :)

Yes, the exact method you're thinking of will leave a small hole in the top, but you can just add a pom pom to the top in order to cover it. Make one by taking long string of yarn and laying it down in a zig zag pattern, the length of the diameter that you want the pom pom to be. Do this over and over again until you've got quite a lot laid down. Then cut it off and use the remaining yarn to tie a knot around the middle of the zig zagged yarn piece. After that, just cut the ends of the zig zagged yarn so that you make a whole bunch of individual pieces that are tied together. If it doesn't look right, then just fray them until it does.

You can. When I worked at a craft store there was a group mass-producing hats that way.

• Yes it's possible, I've done it many times with knitting and crochet.

I like the look of knitting in the round, but it can be tricky to get all of the stitches in the same direction before you put it in the round. Also it's called yarn not wool, unless you know you're working with wool.

Yes, it's possible, but why not just knit in-the-round? It's not difficult, and your pattern choices would be greatly expanded.

I found the pattern you're looking for.  Click on the link below. It's very simple and you can make either a slouchy hat or a beanie style.  They even have a simple pattern to make matching mittens.

• Sandy

I would say yes, it's possible.

I don't knit, but I do crochet. I make many hats basically the same way as you described.