Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 2 months ago

How do I explain to my college teachers that I was absent due to feeling depressed?

I recently missed 2 weeks of school because I just didn't have the motivation to go. I was waking up at 6pm and going to bed late, didn't leave the house at all, hardly left my bedroom. It started when there was a manufacturing delay with my CGM (I'm T1 diabetic) and so I wasn't testing well, if at all. Half-assed it with the insulin and stopped taking thyroid medication, blood sugar was high all the time. Basically I felt depressed, and too embarrassed to email my teachers about my absences... How should I explain all this to them? I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses.

I plan to go back on Monday.

So I told them everything I said here but didn't directly mention feeling depressed, just that I was unmotivated. I also said I was catching up on work at home. Email did the trick it seems. Went back today and everything's fine, the usual. Teacher's thought my reasoning was genuine. Looks like I had nothing to worry about after all. Attendance is 66% but I'm feeling motivated to improve it before exams.

Thanks all for the help.

• dammm

That's cool! I was the same in college I struggled with being a student but it got better with time so keep going and stay positive

• Laurie

They don’t care, and it doesn’t matter. You were not there. You should have communicated with them at the time, or dropped out.

Do not expect them to allow you to make up any work, or to take any tests you missed. College is not high school.

Find out whether yiu can still pass. If not, you should probably drop the classes and start over.

• Johnny2 months agoReport

I'm not concerned that I've missed too much work, just that I haven't communicated properly with my teachers about it. About to send out my email now. I can't drop as I had to do that this time last year for a lung surgery and the diabetes diagnosis. Also we all have to pretend we care. Thanks.

• drip

You didn’t notify anyone. The Dean of students, your professors, your doctor.  You didn’t go to the campus health center or to a counselor. 

Without some documentation from a health care professional I don’t see how they would accept your absences.  You should get checked out by a doctor for your health because of missing your medications. And for the depression. At least make an appointment and let your teachers know you are doing something about the problem.  Almost all campuses have help for depression, you are not the only student with a problem

• Johnny2 months agoReport

I appreciate the concern but my college is not strict. They have attendance standards but kicking people off courses is a last ditch effort, and I've seen much worse than my own attendance. I will however have a lot of catching up to do, but I haven't missed anything counting towards my final grade.

Literally tell them you've had a period of depression.

And ask what resources are available - most schools / colleges offer mental health services. Ask for help.

You would do far better to blame it on your diabetes. I don't know what CGM is, but if it's something necessary for your treatment, and it was delayed, that's a pretty good excuse. If you're actually suffering from clinical depression, go to a doctor. There are some short term medications that can really help. 

Text a personal message to your teacher.I hope he/she will understand.If he/she is not convinced,then submit a medical certificate.Greet-good morning/good afternoon before the actual message.They will feel good and will be ready to listen.Just tell them how you really feel.

I would just tell them the truth and promise to make up the work you missed. What you said here sounds more like an explanation than an excuse.

• Ar

Go to doctor and explain to him or her your situation. It is more believable if it coming from a doctor.  Don't feel embarrassed about it, just talk to the teacher. If you don't feel right,  the doctor will put "medical reasons " on the note. 

Good luck!