Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesLos Angeles · 2 months ago

How do I address my mom’s fears of the big city?

I’m a 23-year-old female college student. I’m still in the phase of growing up and gaining my independence. I’ve grown up with overprotective parents, especially my mom. I’ve been able to travel within my local region and I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. I thing I have a difficult time with is traveling into the city of Los Angeles.

I grew up sheltered in a suburb away from the city. My mom is more so sheltered than I am. On the news she constantly hears about the homelessness problem and crime in Los Angeles. My mom has a very negative image of the city in her mind. There is just a lot more going on in Los Angeles and there are a lot more places that I can go to. There is just a lot more to do in Los Angeles than in the suburb region I reside in.

How do I reduce her anxiety? She perceives the city as a dangerous place. It’s understandable because of the large population and all the news stories about the crime. She is not okay with me going into the city. I need to convince her that I’m going to be safe. I need to a way to present the city of Los Angeles in a positive light. 

LA is a scary city.  I traveled there for business a few years ago, when I got up in the AM and turned on the morning news I discover that 7 people were shot/killed the night before.  On the news in LA you routinely see car chases on the news.

You don't see that stuff anywhere else in the USA, even in NYC.

I've lived in several major US cities and LA is in a class by itself.  

You mother lives near one of America's scariest cities.  Tell her to get the bleep out of there.

Many suburbs of LA like Inglewood and Compton have a higher crime rate than the city proper. LA is only a big city because it encompasses a large land area and is much less dense than cities like San Francisco or NYC. LA is a large city of 503 sq mi and it is very different from one side to the other.

• A.J.

Honestly, it's the same reason we get out of bed in the morning. Living life is a risk and the only thing sure in life is its end and THEN you are safe forever. We get in automobiles. We cross the street. We meet new people. Earthquakes, super-volcanoes, nuclear weapons, solar flares, meteors, floods and tsunamis, droughts, diseases and biological weapons, guns are everywhere, and even lightning strikes kill people. There are fires and pollution and food safety and global warming and everything in existence can kill you. But, the fear of death is related to the fear of life. Why do people sky-dive and bungy-jump and climb mountains? It's because living is what life really is. Now, we relate that to going into the city. There are precautions of what to wear and how to carry a purse or bag. There are some neighborhoods to avoid and to travel during safer hours or in public places to reduce unnecessary risks. But we go to a place to do or experience something we want to do. The city offers museums and events and attractions. It is why we take a plane to visit a place. It's a person's choice to live in a box and suffocate their life in an enclosure which is slightly more safe than living it. You can only explain that we accept some extra risk to do something we want to do. If she has no desire to do or see anything in a city then you have nothing to convince her. But, what stops you? Where are your own friends? Whose life are you living?    

• drip

You haven’t been out on your own, so do the research. 

Many sites in traveling by yourself.

https://www.themandagies.com/11-tips-travel-safe-b...

https://www.coolcousin.com/stories/solo-female-tra...

Go with friends. Know where you are going and how you will get there. Where you will park.

Go for a day trip. Plan out the whole day. Or go do one thing and back home. Let yourself get use the city and your mom get use to you out and about.

I live near Chicago. Some relatives are aghast that my daughter and I take the train downtown for a day trip or a weekend. We go to the museums and take the bus!  Actually walk around at night. You got to know where to go and not go. 

And at 23 you just do it. Plan out a short trip and go.

• John

Take her to Griffith park ; https://www.laparks.org/griffithpark/griffith-park...

Another option might be Disneyland or the beach on a fine day. If you can't get her out on a 30 mile trip there is little hope.

• Foofa

Look up the LAPD crime map for the part of the city you hope to go to and show her that. But the criminal vagrancy exists pretty much everywhere around here now.