Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Move out or get a car?

Okay so I’m a 20 year old female. I don’t want to drag this on too long so I’ll give you guys a quick back story. So my parents were drug addicts and I actually left my parents house at 16. I currently live with my best friends family (her parents, brothers, and her). We have been friends since we were 12 so I’m very close with her family but I’m itching to get my own place. I currently make 15.30 an hour and work about 26-30 hours a week and I’m looking into getting a second job now. When I get my tax return Im debating if I should use the money to put a down payment on a car first or move out? I currently use public transportation just fine with no help so I feel as though living on my own with no car will be fine but I am also aware once I pay rent it will be hard to save up for a car. I’m really stuck and could use some good advice guys. I’m really ready to have my own place to call home finally but Having my own personal vehicle would also be nice 

I guess it’s worth mentioning that even though I’m 20 my best friends mom treats me like I’m 15 and makes me keep my door open when my boyfriend is over, doesn’t like me staying out late. And to be quite frank I just don’t feel 100% at home, I don’t really cook much because I don’t like to be in the way and I try to just make my presence as easy as possible because I understand how nice it is of them to let me stay 

And I’m fully aware of the qualifications it takes to get an apartment so I will obviously be getting a roommate, and I have some savings already AND will be waiting for my taxes on top 

• ron h
    Favorite Answer

Open b/r is in HER house. Dat's da way dat is.  I think you should talk to "mom."   Tell her that you've REALLY appreciated what her she and her family have done for you and it's time for you to think about getting on your own.  Tell her that a car would make life a lot easier, but it would mean needing to stay with thaf family for a while longer.  THIS IS NOT TO BE AN ARGUMENT!!  NO HURT FEELINGS!   I'm glad to hear that you're looking for more income.  Make it clear that you know that your life would have been very different if that family hadn't helped you.   And NEVER EVER forget what they did.  Xmas gifts / cards and b-cards for "mom" for the rest of her life.

• ron h

It's good that she knows how you feel.  EVERYONE needs to be on their own at some point, so when you ask her thoughts about the car vs moveout, you'll know if she's got feelings on that for you to consider. Give her the great compliment of asking and then do what you think is best.

Not sure where you are, but thats not a lot of income...even with a roommate.  Assuming your roommate earns a comparable wage, you're looking for a place thats $1,200 a month.  You might find something for that and you might not. 

Will the car help you work more hours or a second job?  I'd do that first.

You and your roommate will need good credit too.

have you budgeted for an apartment? most landlords want you to be earning 3x the rent. so if rent is 800, you need to be earning 2400.

you currently may qualify to rent for about 600....

also, what will you do if you have a major illness/injury or lose your job? you will end up with an eviction on your record with no savings to pay the bills.

if doesn't matter if you are 15 or 50, their house, their rules, if they object to premarital sex, your age doesn't matter

some savings?  would that be 6 months expenses plus the ability to save more once you get the place?

In the US, if you get fired just because you suck at the job, not because of misconduct, you start getting unemployment right away, i think it pays up to 60% of your paycheck.  so you will need savings to supplement that.

you should also get yourself private temp disability as well as long term disability insurance, especially since you don't have family to fall back on.  if you get hurt and can't work, temp disability will help.....a couple states automatically enroll you in a state program through your employer.

• I get your concerns, they are honestly very good ones!! But I have already thought this through thank you! Just need help deciding between a car or getting a place don’t need your common sense advice thank you 

It's time to get your own place.

Good luck!

In response to the other comments:

From your initial comments, you sounded mature enough to get your own place. 

Now, it sounds like you are just want to nooky with your bf. 

- A parent requiring an open door policy at age 20 does not mean they are treating you like a 15 year old.  It means they aren't ready to be called nana. 

• Lmao y’all real concerned with a young girls sex life and it’s real weird. Any parent who wants to control their child’s sex life after 18 has some real severe issues and needs to look into themselves. Bye bye and seriously please go get your dick sucked I think you really need it.