Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHome Schooling · 2 months ago

Do I have to still go to public school when transferring to online school?

I’ve been thinking about asking my mom to let me do online school because I have bad anxiety and Public school is just so much for me. We just started the new semester and it’s just so much different from the last one and everything is just going so bad. I’ve been researching about online school and it seems like a really good option. And I tried searching this question every where but I can’t seem to get an answer. I hope someone helps me!

Yes, legally you need to attend school until other arrangements have been formalized. That means your school needs to be notified that you have withdrawn and that you have officially started whatever approved alternative education route you have chosen; the paperwork needs to be in place, with parental approval and signatures.

Does that mean you can't get away with missing a few weeks of school while you make your alternative arrangements? Depends on your school district. These days  most high schools will begin an active investigation into  a student's unexplained absence within a few days.

• Sally

you should refrain from going  to a government school.  Homeschooling is better

Source(s): Samuel Clemens

Online school is not your only option. A smaller public school (like a charter school) could be an option for you -- smaller class sizes, different curriculum. Private school may be an option if money isn't an issue. Then there is also homeschool which can vary greatly from online, to book-based, to small 'classes' known as co-ops. 

Online schools themselves vary. They can be free online public school, or paid online private school, or paid online homeschool. There are many options available.

It depends on your state. Many states recognize online schooling as part of the public school system. You probably need to talk to your school or school district. You only overcome anxiety by facing your fears. I'm not sure how you're ever going to have a job if you can't deal with school. 

• Laurie

Online school will not help you overcome anxiety.

you might not have to, i would talk to your mom about it