Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

Horse ate pine pellet bedding...?

My horse has free access to a stall and pretty much always goes out to toilet.   She happened to pee in there today, so when I was cleaning I brought out a pan of pine pellet bedding to refresh what I removed.  Silly horse thought it was a grain pan and ate about three bites (guessing about a cup) before I could get it away from her.     No dear, this is not delicious or nutritious.

So...did I just kill my horse?   Do I need to call the vet?   Will it blow up and explode her GI tract?  Should I keep her off hay tonight and just feed soaked timothy pellets?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks all!  She had the usual number of poops overnight and was looking for breakfast as normal. 

Favorite Answer

Horses love pine.

They'll eat pine trees, pine boards, pine shavings, pine sawdust, even when they're fat and well fed.

Let her eat her normal diet and she'll be fine.

• Snezzy

We tried pellets long ago. Gave up immediately and have not tried since. 

Horse should be okay. Ask vet anyway.

• PR

Equine vets are usually happy to answer questions such as this. They are not going to make a barn call, if they don't need to, so they will tell you what you need to know. Call your equine vet. In the meantime be sure the horse has plenty of water available. Consider switching to sawdust bedding. 

Some blogs suggest mixing sawdust with pellets so the pellets sift to the bottom and are less noticeable to the horse. Other horse owners suggest straw on top. Look over the blogs, but call your vet with your question. 

Sawdust is probably preferable, and if you are in a stable environment where someone else cares for the horse, you could supply the sawdust and ask they use that.

Otherwise, sawdust makes a better bedding material, and I have noticed barns with pellets smell a lot.