Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 2 months ago

Should I put my little girl in ballet?

She is only 2. On a visit I had in the ballet school near us, they told me that 2 year olds don't exactly do ballet. I don't know what they meant by that but it gave me second thoughts. Should I put her in class or is it a waste of money considering they "don't exactly do ballet"?

Thank you all for your answers. I think we're going to wait a few more years. :)

Don't you think that for the sake of your little girl, there are far more useful and practical achievement that would be highly beneficial to her future than ballet

I got put in baseball when I was 3. I ended out playing the game for a long time. I still play, but just not competitively.

• drip

At age two you need a mommy / toddler class. Which really just deals with music and movement. It can be a good way to introduce class time, and moving with music.  

Don't you think that for the sake of your little girl, there are far more useful and practical achievement that would be highly beneficial to her future than ballet ?

She might grow up to be built like a Clydesdale. Don't you think that your just dreaming a romantic but impractical dream ?

A baby at age 2 is still working on controlling their basic motor skills and is most likely still in diapers. Putting someone that young  into a ballet class is a total waste of money. They just play in those classes. Even at age 5 it is still pre-ballet but at 5 you can at least learn what it’s like to take a ballet class and become familiar with a few terms. Real ballet training doesn’t start until age 7/8 when both the mind and body are mature enough to safely handle engaging turnout. Anything before age 5 and it’s just ballet themed play. Anyone who tells you differently really doesn’t understand much about ballet training or what a 2 year old is and isn’t capable of. 

Source(s): My daughter is a professional dancer. I worked for NYCB (New York City Ballet)
    • Lorraine

Glad you said that m,  as I get so quite a few calls for children of 2 yrs and I won't take them but someone else will and then put them off for life because the structure of a class is difficult for them at that age.  Many schools will take young to get them into the school for money purposes.  

I have seen those advertisements at my local theater and what the real young ones do look like very expensive play. I would wait a little longer till she is 5 or 6 as then what they do looks more like learning how to dance.

Most ballet schools (reputable and otherwise) have some kind of "baby class" for kids around 2-3 years old.  When they said they "don't exactly do ballet," I'm guessing they meant to not expect your daughter to be doing turns, leaps or even a basic plie'.

These classes generally focus on developing coordination, listening skills and social behavior.  Movements are basic (usually limited to skipping, hopping and moving arms & legs to music) but stimulate developing brains on a number of levels, so they have value even if you or the school isn't particularly serious about ballet.

If you are serious and want to determine if the school is as well, check out one of their basic technique classes (usually for students in the 6-10 years old range).  Ask some of the parents how long they've been with the school.  If many or most say their girls started as tots in the baby class, it's likely you've found a school that focuses on student development rather than just ones offering casual classes.

• mintchips49

Those baby classes are usually for 3 and 4 year olds. Most require being out of diapers. 2 year olds wear diapers and are still dealing with how not to fall over when walking. 

You could put her in ballet when they actually start doing ballet. What's the point of paying for ballet when they don't do it?

Maybe they're trying to get the kids to familiarize with dance but it's not necessary in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't put my daughter in ballet before I made sure that my money don't go for waste.

• Strawberry Summer

@sir Caustic are you the asker? If yes, Why would you need other's advice if you already decided?