Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

I caught my family dogs mating?

So I am staying at my moms house after college and looking after the dogs. I noticed the other day the male was licking the females behind multiple times and obviously shood him away. Today I look out into the garden where they were playing and the male had mounted the female. I shouted at them and they just stood there looking at me carrying on. Eventually I blew a dog whistle and they stopped and came back inside. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN. I was under the impression they were both snipped. The female has never had her period and the male has never humped anything. Please advise because frankly I can't look at either right now.

• Ocimom
    Favorite Answer

You need to find out from your parents IF both dogs have been spayed and neutered.  If they are not, then she can get pregnant by him.  If they are, then no need to worry about a pregnant dog.

IF she is not spayed, she should be taken to the vet and have an emergency spay done immediately.  IF they are both spayed/neutered, then its just a dominance thing and not a sexual thing.  She could have a UTI if he was licking her privates.

• patty

ale dogs occasionally do this (humping). I think u may be a prude

Judging by his history, he just dug up an old account to ask a troll question.

Assuming this is true, first off, dogs don't get periods. They go into heat. And if they really mated, they'd go into a tie. Since they didn't, your male dog is trying to dominate her.

Well your b itch won't have ever had a period - she might however, have been, or is, IN SEASON.   Are you sure she's spayed?    Were they tied?

What you probably and hopefully saw was them messing around and a lot of this behaviour is down to dominance, not to sex.

I think you better check with your mum re her being spayed, or not and if there is ANY CHANCE she's entire AND in season, then you must get her straight to your vet before there's a pregnancy going on!!!

Just to add, if by chance she has problems with her anal glands, this can 'turn on' some males.   Ditto with a UTI she may have.

You have misread the whole situation. Humping is a dominance ploy to dominate another dog. This happens in many animal groupings.

Don't assume anything. It was not what you thought it was. I think it is so sad for people not to know more about an animal they chose as a pet. Canine behavior is more complex than one would think. The general public are rather ignorant about dogs & they SHOULD KNOW much more.

It means that you should use a shock collar. 

• Jack H

If they had mated, they would have *tied* ended up fastened together backside to backside, blowing a whistle would have done nothing... it was probably dominance play...

• alex2 months agoReport

She is definately the alpha, I don't see why she was allowing this to happen.

• Maxi

Two neutered dog is NOTHING to do with 'mating'

Humping, or mounting, is an action that seems inherently sexual in nature. However, this is not always the case. Humping is part instinct and part learned behaviour and, most importantly, it is completely normal for dogs. It only becomes a behaviour problem when your dog humps people, upsets other dogs by mounting them, or when the humping is excessive. .... so can be caused by sexual/hormonal but not in this case as they are neutered, excitment, playfulness, dominating or medical issues ( so check for things like UTI with your vet)

The dogs where fixed.There hormones are still there.Fixing a dog doesn't take away their desire to breed.It just prevents them from making puppies.Same as humans when women gets her tubes tied and a guy get's a vasectomy.

• BBG

"There hormones are still there."    Spaying removes ovaries (estrogen and progesterone).   Neutering removes testicles (testosterone).    It is not at all the same thing as a tubal ligation or vasectomy.   

Neutering does not prevent all males from becoming erect.    Nor does spaying somehow sew up the vagina.

I really have no clue what kind of advice you're looking for. 

Perhaps you should take a basic sex education course.

• alex2 months agoReport

i'm aware of how, the question is why. Sex education will not explain WHY two neutered dogs randomly decided to do it after 3 years for no biological or sociological reason.