Frederick asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

The evocation of spirits during seances clearly confirms the immortality of the soul.Your opinion?

• Jesere
    Favorite Answer

I have seen my brothers spirit, as have a few close friends without having a seance. I experienced a Near Death Experience, I died and was revived. In the ambulance I said to myself "I should be breathing again, WOW I don't have to breathe anymore" this forever changed me, the feeling is indescribable. This was in 1975. Dr. Raymond Moody coined the phrase NDE and has several books on the subject as others doctors do. Millions of people have had this experience. I look forward to going back home to the Spiritual Realm!

I do believe in an eternal/immortal soul but in terms of "confirmation" with respect to the qualifier you listed I would have to say "no". I mean first of all a person would have to believe that spirits are conjured up in seances which I would say most philosophers DON'T. Second, even if you had an experience wherein spirit was conjured up you would have to prove the spirit was what it claimed to be; i.e. are you talking to aunt Betty or to some being masquerading as aunt Betty. Like I said, I do believe in an eternal soul, but I'm not sure how you would prove the existence of it via your qualifier.

• Dejair

Yes ; confirmation of consciousnesses is not by mechanical machines. Super-health, shiny youth, comfortable wealth .

Wish I could be as convinced as you but with a lot more down to earth very practical evidence.The only conclusion that I have ever arrived at is that whoever first thought of this fallacy was smart enough to give the human race a form of immortality for which it craved, and placed himself in the unique position of being 'chief communicator' between any mortal and the Deity, a position of immense influence.

My opinion is therefore that your theory as expressed brings great comfort to people seeking some form of solace for their future, but is sadly a complete load of bollocks.

For personal reasons I would be delighted to be proved wrong after I make the final journey, but will have to wait and see.

Brings great comfort to many people seeking brings great comfort to people s without doubt most likely a complete load of bollocks

You have a very loose grasp of the term 'clearly confirms.'

• It doesn't confirm it just suggests. I have recorded spirits in EVP form, which some sessions you can find on my youtube. As of late, I kind of had to question, why can't spirits use radio waves or other em waves to contact us? Why haven't my deceased relatives called me? Obviously there is an answer, I just can't conceive of it. This is more than just opinion however, as we can test or demonstrate repeatably the existence of "other worldly" beings making "contact." But as far as I know our understanding is merely skin deep :D.

• Brian

Sure. If it ever really happened.

Hang on, Im consulting my Ouji board for an answer on this one.  Nothing.  Okay, lets try another method.  Turn off the lights and call your question into the darkness. Two Knocks "Yes", one knock "No"....hang on, still waiting...

Ever hear of Harry Houdini?  He exposed every seance he attended as a fraud.  Other competent illusionists/magicians have done the same since.

Never had a seance. Never seen a spirit.  I have my significant doubts.