Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Which schools should I apply to if I want to do pre med?

I am from a really competitive high school with stats that aren't that special (101 GPA on the 100 point scale, 1500/1600 on SATs, but good leadership and extracurricular). I don't really have a chance at any ivys or super competitive schools, but what are some still good colleges with high acceptance into medical schools and good research opportunities. I want to major in biochemistry, and I live in New Jersey. 

My family can't afford tuition that's TOO expensive, but I might go to a school if its really good despite a high price tag. I tend to prefer bigger schools with decent social life and this is pointless but nice looking campuses. 

Favorite Answer

Start looking on website like Niche.  Your big issue is that NJ really only has Rutgers that is a cost-effective choice. 

You will have to contact universities to get their med school acceptance rates.  Then you have to decide how many universities you want to apply to. Things to consider:

1. Out-of-state tuition at a public university like Michigan, UNC-Chapel Hill, Virginia, etc. might still be less than a private university.  

2. Within reason, if your are academically above the average admitted student, you are more likely to get an academic merit scholarship.  Need-based financial aid is a different thing and is based on your parents' income.

3. The larger the university, the more potential opportunities there are for things like research, but also the harder it is to get into classes and the more competition you'll have for those research positions. You'll also get less "care" from your pre-med advisor.

4. Climate, campus culture, distance from home, etc. all play a part in how happy you and and focused you can be academically.

5. Clinical opportunities has to do with both the availability in the city/area in which the campus sits as well as the school's connections -- and your own hard work.

https://blog.collegevine.com/2018-best-pre-med-sch...

https://blog.prepscholar.com/best-pre-med-schools

• Stella

Rutgers University in New Brunswick would be a good choice.

i would think any of them are good ones or they wouldnt be there

Almost all universities have a pre-med major or biology and chemistry majors. Students from any accredited university can be admitted to med school. I don't know why you think you can't get into a prestigious college. Apply to a range- your "dream schools" and your state university (some are ranked in the top 100 universities in the world). 

probably any of them that do it