My computer doesn't have a Display port and I just got the Oculus Rift S?

My computer doesn't have a Display port and I just got the Oculus Rift S and you need to have a display port to plug into your computer. Every website I look at says that the adapters don't work for the Rift. I was wondering if there was any way to install a display port into my computer by taking it apart and rebuilding part of it. Any feedback helps! Thanks!

Favorite Answer

The only way to add a DisplayPort connection to your computer is to buy a video card that has DisplayPort output. It is not possible to just "rebuild" a component to add the connection.

I know you already awarded a best answer but here are the solutions and a forewarning.

You need a decent gaming PC to run a VR headset like the Rift. If you're not willing to build your own PC then you're looking at spending at least $800 to buy a prebuilt gaming PC that's capable of running the Rift without giving you motion sickness. You can probably find something on the 2nd hand market for $500-600, but you'll have to know how not to get swindled by someone who's over-promoting their junk PC.

-If you have a SFF Desktop PC then you'll have to replace it with a normal sized gaming PC. Sorry but it's impossible to add a Gaming level video card to a small system like this.

-If you have a regular sized tower which is sometimes called a minitower. You will have to add a Gaming level video card. About the cheapest card I would recommend for VR is the GTX 1660 Super or AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT.

-Video cards consume a lot of wattage so you'll most likely have to replace the power supply. Most of the desktops on the market that run off integrated graphics come with a 250w-300w power supply which isn't enough for a decent video card.

-If your PC is using an older CPU or a weak CPU like an AMD A10 or another A-Series APU, Celeron, Pentium or even a Core i3 then you'll most likely have to buy a new PC. In some instances you can upgrade the CPU to an i7 and then you'll be okay.

• Snezzy

Get a new computer.

take it to a computer store and have them help you with it

• Dick

Requirements only say you need a USB 3 port ... says nothing about a "display port". I have no idea what kind of a "display port" you are talking about.

• Caoedhen

Display Port is a video connection like HDMI or HDMI. It looks like an HDMI port with one square corner. It  has been a standard method of connecting video monitors for several years now.

With no clue from you what "My computer" model you might have, the answer from "Pearl" is the only one we could give you "feedback".

Seems to me you are seriously lacking in tech knowledge if you buy something expensive like the "Oculus Rift" with no preparation to connect it before purchase.

And asking here for long distance help but telling nothing at all about what you have is another sign of not knowing much.

Source(s): 33 years building and upgrading PC boxes, using computers for 58 years, college computer classes instructor, electronics manufacturing engineer.

go to a computer store and let them help you with it